Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted last week about my raptor popping really bad on decel, shooting flames and even sometimes dying. I changed the header exhaust gaskets this past weekend thinking I had an air leak. I rode it and it seemed fine after I changed the gaskets. Well I rode it a little more today and really let it wind out on top end and on decel it was popping and shooting flames and almost died. This is a recent problem, I have not made any jetting changes. It runs great and does not bog or pop or act strange at all until I let off the throttle after a long wide open run. The carbs are secured tightly in the boots. My pilots are what Sparks recommends with their pipe (27.5), if anything I am too rich on the pilots, this is not a lean decel pop. Could out of adjustment valves cause this? Is it possible to get the header pipes tight and they still not be pressed up against the header gaskets? I am pulling my hair out. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
[quote I am pulling my hair out. Any suggestions? Thanks.[/quote]
what mains do you have? check around the intake boots for crackes. spray wd-40 around carbs and boots when running to see if it idles up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I did some sand dragging today, and it did real good. I took the pipe back off, made sure the gaskets were still good, and put everything back together, made sure everything was tight. It did not do it as bad today, it never died when it did pop, and the popping was better today. I stomped a couple of 450R's today, one of them had the HRC kit. Something is still not quite right with mine sometimes on decel. I am running 160-165 mains at sea-level with the air box lid cut to where most of the filter is exposed, and the snorkle flaps trimmed. I was at 170-175 on the mains and it did not pull hard enough on the mid and topend. It has always popped a good bit on decel no matter where I was on the jetting. It pulls great all the way to the top, just on decel it gives me some trouble. Hell, as long as I am beating 450R's I can't complain too much I guess.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I could check them with the clear tube method. I can ride wheely's all day and it never stumbles, and I can climb hills fine. If it is the floats I would be suprised, but you never know.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have the same pipe and am having the same problem one right now i think its jetted to rich at 165 170 its a total dog compared to what it used to be like so im goin to try 160 165 i have the 25 pilots cuz that all my gay dealer had and it pops on decel badly i just want it to run beeter than it did before the pipe i did move the nedle up one from the top and it now has no midrange stumble but top end sucks any help is welcome ill let you know if i figure out the popping.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmm

I run a alba racing pipe (completely unbaffled). I noticed the same poping and even flames at night. But I didn't have the problems with it dieing. Any way I called alba and the shop said that if i got on it the stainless pipes would get hot enough to cause instant ignition to the unspent gass vapors and cause the poping and flames. Maybe thats it. But then again my bike wasn't dieing Hmm? :wtf:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just a thought, replace spark plug check for good spark from coil lead
check all vacuum lines for cracks, check header pipe studs are not bent that will stop the flange pressing against the gasket tightly.hope this helps. :)) :))

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips guys. I replaced the spark plug, it did not help. I have not physically looked at how the plug is firing, but it runs so damn good and I don't think that is where the problem is. The header is tight and the gaskets are fresh. I have not taken the plastic and gas tank off to get a good look at the carb boots, but from what I can see the carbs are tight in the boots. I could still have a crack in the boots however. I am probaly going to have the valves checked at the dealer, and while they have the plastic and tank off, have them check the carb boots for cracks. Whatever the problem is, it does not have any effect on how it runs. It pulls like a train through every gear.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Mine did that same thing when My air/fuel mixture was off. It pulled hard, but would shoot flames decelerating. I know if was running fine before, but I took a turn out on both sides and now it is perfect.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I put the Yoshimura pipe on my bike and just went the easy route and bought the dynojet kit. Following their specs to a "T" I was able to get my bike running perfect first shot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am running 27.5 pilots that are 2 and 2-1/2 turns out. My pilots are richer than most, I doubt it is my pilots.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I read on spark they had there needles on the 4th clip down so i was like well sure ill try puttin em there wow its back to its old self and no annoying poping she'll get a full test tommorow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That was happening to me took apart the carbs cleaned them. Put them back together it solve the problem . it is kind of weird it runs so good but sputters or pops a little when I let of the gas. any Ideas

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took it to the dealer to have the valves adjusted, and I also had them check for an exhaust leak. They found it was leaking at the joint where the silencer meets with the head pipe. They siliconed the joint and made sure the clamp was tight. Before I brought it in I put some exhaust wrap material (some kind of rubber/plastic flat rope looking stuff) over the joint. I then cut some aluminum sheet metal and covered the exhaust wrap, then put the clamp around all of that. Well, the exhaust wrap lasted about 5 minutes and started to bubble on the hot pipe, and apparantly I did not have the clamp installed where it needed to be. I really could not see where the joint was since I covered it up. Anyways, I rode it today for a little while, it seemed to be fixed. I will know for sure tommorow after I do some Sunday sand dragging all day. One of the intake valves was out of spec on adjustment, and he said he tweaked on one of the exhaust valves that was barely in spec, and not to his liking. Tommorow should be interesting. My buddy has a piped/filtered/jetting banshee that he has been tuning on. I had my way with him last weekend pretty much, but he say's it is running a little better after some more carb tuning.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I went sand dragging this weekend. The overall popping on decel is better after the exhaust leak was fixed. However, I stretched it out a few times wide open in 5th and it popped real bad when I let off the throttle and died once. I have found that if I slowly ease off the throttle and get on the front brakes quick it won't pop too bad and it will not die. It just seems that if I get off the throttle completely after a full throttle run and try to coast my way back down it pops real bad and sometimes dies. It has to be my pilot jet. I am running a 27.5, I can't be lean, maybe to rich? The popping out of the exhaust is a result of unburned excess fuel entering the pipe. It runs perfect, but this problem can be annoying. Any other suggestions?

I got my ass drugged by some full blown banshees and YFZ'S. Those boys do not play on Sunday. I usually go on Saturday, and do pretty good. One of the Banshees that was running on Sunday was a 535CC supposedly putting out 137hp. He has run the 1/8 mile on pavement in 6 seconds. My buddies piped banshee is starting to run a little better after he did some more tuning, and it seems to be breaking in. We are very close, I win some, he wins some, but I still win a little more.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok guys, I have been tweaking on the pilot jets all weekend trying to eliminate the popping/dying after wide open throttle problem. I played with the screws with the 27.5 pilots in. I went out to 2.5/3 turns out on the 27.5's. I went in to 1/1.5 on the 27.5's. This had absolutely no effect on the dying problem. I then put in 25 pilots with the screws 2.5/3 turns out, and it did not act any different than it did with the 27.5 pilots. I have been running up and down this road that is 1/4 mile long. It only starts to pop bad and die after the 3rd or 4th wide open run. It does not pop or try to die immediatley after the throttle is closed, it starts about half way down on the rev/speed range. I know the pipe is getting hotter the more it is ran, so it would be more likely to ignite fuel or fuel vapors that are in the exhaust. It really runs good and I would have never discovered this problem if I had stayed riding the trails. Lately I have been going to the beach and doing alot more high rpm and wide open runs for longer periods of time than I did on the trails. Is there a good way to find and exhaust leak? I can't feel anything leaking out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This happened to me. I took out an old fuel filter that was in the lines near the shut off valve to the gas tank. It solved it 100 percent. Im not sure if all rappys have fuel filters but maybe you can take a look. No plastics need to be removed jsut look under the gas tank towards the seat area . Follow the fuel line.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have one of those filters. I will try that next. It has been installed for almost 2 years. I hope that is the problem, I would think that if it was the filter it would run bad and die sporadically. Your's was doing the exact same thing? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts