Blue Traxx Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm hoping I'll get an answer here since it seems the most recent to be posted about an oil change!

I just picked up a 2010 yfz450x BB and have an oil change question...

The owner suggested to use ROTELLA 15w-40 oil (conventional??) but all I'm finding online is rotella only sells Diesel engine oil... I can only find the 15w-40 oil in Diesel engine oil... this seems odd? I thought I would be looking for a conventional oil but I'm lost here...
if true to rotella 15w-40 Diesel engine oil.. would I use conventional, synthetic blend or full synthetic?
here is what I have found:

if I can't use rotella because they are all Diesel engine oil.. what oil should I use and what weight? and conventional, semi-syn, or full synthetic??

any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You can use diesel oil because it dosnt have additive conventional oil has that will destroy your clutch. Automotive 10 40 will ruin your clutch. That being said that engine was designed for conventional yamalube. That's all I use and it works just fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks! so that link to the t4 15w-40 conventional Diesel engine oil will be just fine and not ruin my clutch??

just trying to be clear here don't want to kill the new toy! thank you Cory!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes conventional. I am not a big fan of the synthetic unless the motor was designed for it. I am not an oil expert but I have had bikes all my life and been running game has for the last 16. 20 plus bikes and I have run it in all of them. There are as may oil experts out there as there are riders. I am sharing what I know personally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey this is awesome - thank you so much! one more - is there a reason you prefer yamalube over rotella or others? your personal opinion of course. thanks for all your help. that was actually just my biggest question over everything...for some reason I can't get down the math on oil and the weight and how why what when works!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have always tried to run the factory oil. I run Honda oil in Honda's ECT. That is the oil the Yamaha engineers recommend. I had an old mercury outboard years ago that I struggled with. Switched to quick silver. Instead of the generic oil and it ran better. I just got in the habit after that. Even though synthetic oil can take more heat I don't think it dissipates or carries heat as well as regular oil. As far as the weights 10 40 will be fine as long as you are not riding anything extreme. The number refers to weight. In simple terms how thick is it. In modern oils it is not as important. Before you had to pick an oil specific to a temp. The bigger the number the thicker the oil. So you would run a 5 or 10 weight in the winter and a 40 or 50 in the summer now one oil covers the span. If you ride primarily cold weather pick an oil that covers the lower spread better and vice versa

21 - 29 of 29 Posts