Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can put a price on a quad, but you cant put a price on a life. So I get this quad, a 2002 raptor 660r, worth every penny I paid. my previous quad was a ltr450. So I decided to go take if for a ride in the woods for the first time on this quad. Got the paper work and liscense plate for it. Everything was all right but on the way back I had a weird ass feeling like something was gunna happen. So I get up to the same train tracks that ive crossed like a billion times in the past 7 years. So I go to the spot which I usually cross at and ive noticed some kinda of jeep or something has made deep tire marks/burnout marks. Looked both ways and decided to cross. So that meant i had like 3 minutes before the next train came. I make if across the first set of tracks. Once I got to the second pair ot tracks(paralell to each other) My left a-arm gets stuck on the track. I started panicking cause I can feel the freight train comming. I was trying everything and i couldnt get it unstuck. I saw the train comming and it was flying. He started honking and i just didnt know what to do. I jumped off the quad at the last second thinking screw it. The hit was so loud. my first time seeing something get it by a train in front of my own eyes. My heart stopped for like a minute. The train ripped my frame in a couple spots in the middle. I literally threw away $3500 in 1 day. I just got the dam thing. Im lucky to be alive. Im not sure if I even wanna go riding anymore. Was a real pain in the ass to get it home. Had to call alot of ppl. But the thing thats suprises me the most is that the train didnt even try stopping and didnt stop after the collision.:s96: I mean yea still, It was most likely my fault but the thing is im still alive. Thanks goodness. Be safe please. I dont wanna people dying on tracks and local state enforcments to ban quads from the streets. Ima post some links up of the quad before and after.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't think a freight train is going to even attempt to stop unless they have plenty of notice that there's a person/people stuck on the tracks. Depending on the load it's carrying, it can take MILES after the braking is initiated for a freight train to slow and stop.

Glad you made it out just fine yourself and you have your priorities straight. Sucks to hear about the bike though, that's really too bad !

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
I am a conductor. I ride on coal and freight trains. If they would have dumped (put the train in to emergency) when they seen you they still would have hit you.

We cant put the train in emergency for every little thing. I see idiots all the time drive around gates, racing us to the crossing, pulling out to cross right after the tail end of a train clears a crossing only to have us be right on top of the crossing on another track.

I havent ever hit anybody but have come close a few times.

If they did dump it they would have had to notify the train dispactcher of what happend. The dispatcher would have called the police, EMT's, and rail road officals / managers. Trains have a cameras on them to record what the crew sees. So if you tried to run you still on camera. You would have also been held responcible for any damages to the locomotive. You would have also been responcible for the delay's to the train that hit your Raptor and any trains affected behind it. $100,000 or more per hour depending on how many trains got held up.

Yes the crew should have stopped. They probably seen you jump out of the way and figured you were alright and your raptor was now unstuck from the rail road tracks.

They saved them selfs a head ach and they Saved you a much larger one.

The point of the story is to not mess around rail road tracks. Wouldnt it have been much easire to use a crossing?

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts