Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. So My freind Installed the Alba Pipe, K&N and Alba jetting. Unleashed a monster. Ran stronger than ever.
2. So he calls me after he gets home saying theat he rode it for 10 minutes, shut it down and now it won't start. He did say that it was popping a little bit.
3. We disassembled the carb to find that the Plastic Throttle slides were melted in both carbs. And one of the breather hoses to the air box were melted as well.

Has anybody else experienced this problem. If so, what is the cause and what is the solution?

Alba does have the Slides in stock, but we need to find the cause and correct it.

All help will be appreciated. Gordons Well Thanksgiving trip is at stake.

·
8,530 Posts
Maybe you are running rich, and the eingine popped when shut off, and started a fire in the carb... If the carbs look sooty like a fire was going in there this could be the issue.. Also if the slides are bubbled and burned looking, it was open flame, if it looks like a smooth melting, it was something weird....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
diggerzmound said:
Maybe you are running rich, and the eingine popped when shut off, and started a fire in the carb... If the carbs look sooty like a fire was going in there this could be the issue.. Also if the slides are bubbled and burned looking, it was open flame, if it looks like a smooth melting, it was something weird....
Diggerzmound -
Yes, the slides are bubbled and burned looking. And there is soot through-out the carb. I am thinking towards the backfire caused fire inside the carb as well.

My concern now, is that if we replace the slides and don't make any other changes, this might happen again.

Regarding jetting to rich, this is the current set up:
Alba Pipe and header.
ProFlow adapter and K&N filters
Alba Jetting:
Rht Main - 160
Lft Main - 155
Pilots - Stock
Alba needle @ 4th notch down
Pilot screw @ 3-1/2 turns out.

What do you think?

·
8,530 Posts
Jet it leaner, and do a plug check....

I have seen many engines, when they run too much fuel in, they will mist fuel almost backwards into the airbox boot, and I bet this is what happened..

I would try jetting it leaner, sounds like too much fuel to me.....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oh yeah. Seen it many times, but mostly with the single carb Grizzlys. Backfire into the carb, engine dies and it sits there...fire in carb melts the plastic. If you kill the motor due to intake backfire, fire it back up..hell..at least crank the thing to pull any fire/fuel/etc back down the intake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts