Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I happened to get the first problem on my 2004 yFZ450 this TG weekend at Glamis. I rode to China Wall to find I had no oil, got 2 qts filled her up and rode back. Leaked bigtime. I just took it apart and need to know what to repalce. I know I have to replace the o ring, the oil seal, the collar, and the lock washer, but is there anything else?

I've been reading about changing some plastic piece from a Raptor or something on the sprocket, what is it about?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
id say just pop the seal back in, or just get a new seal, unless the other parts are damaged

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the inside part of the front sprocket there is some plastic that looks a little messed up and a piece of it looks like it broke the seal, what should I do?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Take the plastic off and get a new seal. Leave the plastic off because thats what causes the seal to brake. :tdown:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had this happen to me too. When you get the front sprocket off, take an exacto knife and cut away the plastic on the motor side of the front sprocket. Something must have got bound up between front sprocket and engine, heated up that plastic, and that plastic tears up that seal.

Once you get the front sprocket off and taken care of, you can use a hook pick to pull that old seal out. It's kiind of tricky to get the old seal off, but you'll eventually get it. Then just put a little lithium grease on the new seal, on the inside diameter where it mates with the shaft, and slide it in where the other seal was.

One dealership told me I also need to replace the O-ring, so I bought one for 5 bucks, but after getting it all apart and looking at a mechanical drawing of that area, didn't see a place for that o-ring, and it was too small to even fit over the shaft, so I didn't put the o-ring on, just the seal.

Mine happened because the overflow tube from the carb. ended up getting raveled up in the front sproket. After fixing the seal, I cut the overflow tube, so now it's pretty short and it can't happen again.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
should i take the plastic piece off both sides or only the inside?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I only took mine off from the inside. However, the plastic on the inside (motor side) was all chewed up and something had to be done. Otherwise it would have just chewed up the new seal.

The plastic on the outside looked fine so I left it alone. Did this about 4 months ago and probably have over 100 hrs. since with out a problem.

As far as the O-ring, I bought one, and saw one mechanical drawing that showed an O-ring, and another drawing that didn't show an O-ring??? Anyway, I certainly would have put it on there, but the O-ring was about 1/2 the diameter of the smallest part of the shaft. Even though I may have been able to stretch it, It wasn't right and would have ended up eventually breaking. Dealer must have given me a wrong part maybe?

·
Registered
79 Posts
cowboy said:
I only took mine off from the inside. However, the plastic on the inside (motor side) was all chewed up and something had to be done. Otherwise it would have just chewed up the new seal.

The plastic on the outside looked fine so I left it alone. Did this about 4 months ago and probably have over 100 hrs. since with out a problem.

As far as the O-ring, I bought one, and saw one mechanical drawing that showed an O-ring, and another drawing that didn't show an O-ring??? Anyway, I certainly would have put it on there, but the O-ring was about 1/2 the diameter of the smallest part of the shaft. Even though I may have been able to stretch it, It wasn't right and would have ended up eventually breaking. Dealer must have given me a wrong part maybe?
yep, get the correct o-ring :tup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts