Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently just bought a 2006 yfz 450. When I was riding I noticed that oil was leaking. So I shut it off right away. The oil is coming from the oil filter cover.
I changed the oil and filter and the leaking is still continuing. When I was putting the cover back over the filter I noticed the right medium length bolt that holds the cover is stripped. It went tight and then lose. I’m not sure if I should use a helicoil or simply tap the hole bigger and use and bigger sized bolt.
Help would be appreciated as I don’t want to mess up my engine block haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
a heli-coil would be best there is not a lot of extra meat in the cover to allow for a bigger hole and you retain the factory size bolt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I switched the smaller bolt for the medium bolt and it seems to hold with just a bit of drops of oil every now and then. I can’t find. Helicoil that small. How could I retain the same size bolt if I’m making the hole smaller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
if the threads stripped it will fail again. be careful forcing the wrong size bolt in the hole you may make the hole to big for a heli-coil a helicoil does not make the hole smaller. you drill it out, use a reverse tap for the outside diameter of the heli-coil and thread it in. there are several good you tube videos on the subject. look on amazon, here is a link to a kit https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_2?ie=UTF8&adId=A07241322AYYSVGPKV22O&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FHVAZI-240pcs-Metric-Stainless-Assortment%2Fdp%2FB01HJWUT8E%2Fref%3Dsr_1_2_sspa%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1542657372%26sr%3D8-2-spons%26keywords%3Dhelicoil%2Bkit%26psc%3D1&qualifier=1542657372&id=6238395837882365&widgetName=sp_atf but you can get the individual sizes as well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts