Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2003 blaster and it runs fine. starts up on first kick every time. but it just started to make a knocking noise. was wondering what it may be ?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
no it definatly isnt the reeds..there made of practically plastic, they cant make a noise that loud, or any noise at all...i cant remember what it is (i had a blaster years ago) but its usually normal...alot of blasters do it to be honest, i know that if your engine rattles, its becuase you have too much clearance between the cylinder wall and the piston, and the piston is slapping the cylinder walls, but as far as knocking, it doesnt come to mind...i wish i could remember!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it could be a rattle noise im not very good at describing this noise.but it seems like it started very low last year and gets a little louder after every ride but like i said it runs perfect .

·
Registered
172 Posts
Piston slap..

have it bored .020, honed, new piston and rings, and it will stop...

Eric

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
minimus said:
you may just be hearing the reeds opening and closing
WTF are you talking about?

DO you even know what a reed is???????????? Holy crap.

Anyway, there is alot of things it could be. Doubt its from running too low octane, as i sometimes ran 87 in my blaster and it was fine. But just get a tank of 93 or 94 if you can, or whatever, up here it is 94. I dont think its that though. Unless the blaster had the piss beat out of it, hopefully its not piston slap since its a 03. If it was bad enough to make that kind of noise, it wouldnt start 1st kick.

Could it be your exhaust? Have all those springs on there? Im not really firmilliar with blasters anymore, i dont know if thy have those o-rings inside the pipe bolting to the cylinder, if you do make sure they didnt rott away. A rattle noise could be anything. Try to diagnose it further and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
empty-wallet said:
minimus said:
you may just be hearing the reeds opening and closing
WTF are you talking about?

DO you even know what a reed is???????????? Holy crap.
yes i know what a reed is it is a little flat fibergalss or carbon piece that moves, opening to let air in the engine on the intake stroke and closing, sealing the crank case on the power stroke.

i have heard that you could here them clicking when they open and close. guess i was wrong.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Either bad counter balancer bearings, or a broken piston skirt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar problem a few years back on my blaster, turned out to be something wrong with the exhaust, i'd look into that and make sure that everything is tightened down and put together tight, and if it's not that, try to determine if the problem may be internal on the pipe and you might just want to get a new one. I replaced my pipe/silencer and it fixed the problem for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it has a new pipe. i dont know what the compression is but you can stand about 8 ft away from the silencer and feel it hitting you. i rode saturday for about 8 hours and it sounds like its coming from top end.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
still knocking ? i have put about 25 hrs on it since i started this forum and it still runs perfect. starts on first kick feels like good compresion butt i would like to know what is making that noise in the motor.

·
Registered
318 Posts
it does say in the manuel if u run wrong octane it will have a knocking noise i notice dit the other day and wen i first got my 03 blaster it use to have a knocking noise but it doesnt really any more

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
MudnBlaster said:
it does say in the manuel if you run wrong octane it will have a knocking noise I notice dit the other day and wen I first got my 03 blaster it use to have a knocking noise but it doesnt really any more
87 octane should be enough.

But if you are running 87 octane, try running 93.

What does the knocking sound like? Does it get faster/louder at higher RPM?

It could be piston slap...

·
Registered
236 Posts
i know, i had it on my blaster, it dosnt knock alot with u go at higher rpms, only low. I actually never figure it out, until a clip from my piston tore off and scorched the whole cylinder. I needed it rebored, Now its fine, everythings perfect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When you changed from stock to aftermarket pipe, did you notice the noise. The aftermarket pipes are usually thinner than stock and you hear noises that you didn't hear or notice before. I hear a little knocking sometimes but it has done it for a long time and usually does it more when its warmer out(might be a little rich and its unspent fuel).

·
Registered
8 Posts
ya my 03 dos the same thing and its coming from the cilinder so im ganna up a new top end in it and run higher oct and see if it works but if i were u thats wat i would do

·
Registered
205 Posts
mxthunder said:
Either bad counter balancer bearings, or a broken piston skirt.
There yea go he said it right there....
i had that on my 1992 balster and it was the same as yours with the noise.. so i took out the reeds and there was a big chunk of piston (skirt) in it :wtf: :scared: so then i continued to take my head off and there was the problem.. i broke the skirt..luckley i didnt scratch the cylinder cuz i stopped it right away so it wouldnt...
im your case i wouldnt ride the bike until u find out what it is.. when it comes to fixing a motor it gets pricy if you dont have a job.... i would take your reeds out and take apart the head and see..

let us know
good luck

Dom :s96: :evil:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts