Blue Traxx Forum banner

Just got a new Raptor this afternoon..

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Tease405 
#1 ·
And lookin' to see what low cost things I can do with the stock components until I budget for a pipe.

Should I get the jetkit now? (they are pretty cheap) and is there anything i can do to the stock pipe to uncork some HP out of it? ..

Filters are another low cost add-on that i'd be willing to do.. what have you guys (and gals) found to be best in dusty environments (i live in AZ)

Any other tuning tricks that I can do with minimal $ (for now)? Spark plugs, timing, ...etc

#2 ·
You can pull the spark arrestor out of the pipe. There is a screw in the bottom of the pipe (the tip) that you can remove and take the arrestor out.

For the filter, I would buy a Pro Design K&N filter combo. They are $100 and way better than stock.

I am sure there is more out there, just do a search and I am sure you will find more. :tup:

#3 ·
wow, good to see an active board, didn't expect an answer back so fast ..

You said a combo for the filter, pro design and K&N .. pardon the noob question on this.. but how would a combo work ::flinches::

#4 ·
Pro Design makes a clamp-on filter system that basically eliminates the possibility of dirt getting into the carbs. Basically it has a billet adapter that mounts up to the airbox and then you clamp on your filter to that.

Here is a picture of the kit:

PM RaptorCam, he is the owner of RSP. He will hook you up with one. :tup:

Edit, here is a bigger picture of the filter with the outerwear airbox cover. (You can also see the crankcase breather on the bike also).

#5 ·
Oh ya, if you are willing to rejet, you could remove your airbox lid. Just replace it with an outerwears airbox cover and you will be good to go.

Here is a picture of the cover (sorry it is so small)

Those are only like $20.

You will have to get a crankcase breather also. K&N makes one, 62-1100, for around $15. Outerwears makes a cover for this also.

Hope this helps. :tup:

#6 ·
Exactly what I was lookin for, thanks a bunch .. also, since the pipe is so restrictive on the Raptors, isn't it fighting an uphill battle by getting more air in with this setup?

I've done a lot of mods on street bikes and I've owned 2 dirt bikes (restored one from a pile of rust), so i'm very comfortable with tinkering with the quad, heck, i'm lookin' forward to it.

Should I wait on a pipe before jetting it, or just keep the jets only slightly larger than stock? (engine only has about 15min on it so far)

#7 ·
I would recomend a dynojet jet kit. Comes with different sizes of jets, different carb needles, different slide springs. They use a different sizing method than the mikuni jets. a 150 dynojet is not the same as a 150 mikuni. The instructions in the dynojet kits are right on if you chose to follow them.
http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/atvyamahajets.shtml

#8 ·
Hehehe, I still have a box of jets left over from my street bikes :wtf: , After my last street bike was fuel injected I swore I'd never own another carburated bike .. good thing I kept 'em i guess :roll:

#9 ·
you can take the pipe and try gettin a long drill bit or something to puncture some of the baffles. Not to get off topic but how do you like your bike?

#11 ·
Lovin' the bike so far, it's a bit wheelie happy but nothing I can't get used to, I've owned several 1000cc street bikes so i'm used to a lot of power.. plan to get it fully dirty today and broken in this weekend.. i'll let ya know more.

#12 ·
yeah i figured youwould since you mentioned you had some bikes b4 the quad. Im lookin into a r6. I think youll love the raptor. If you do open it up air box wise b4 the pipe its best to rejet.

#13 ·
Went for a nice long ride yesterday .. feel like I've been beaten with a bag of hammers this morning .. oofta, way outta shape ..

Can't say enough good about the Raptor, Even 100% stock the power and torque are amazing, can't really get on the bike to hard till it's broken-in, but still it wheelies on command over "stuff" in my way .. I think i see a full skid plate in my near future too.. and lots of asprin.

Some of the trails I hit yesterday were some old trails i used to mountain bike .. it's a totally different beast of a trail on a quad, couple of .. .. intense... moments .. But I only saw God once.. my guardian angel has already put in for a transfer.. The Trail is a mix of deep (4 feet) ruts, sand, dirt road, and technical rock crawling, it's a pretty short trail, about 4-5 miles or so, but great to get the bike worked in. Plenty of side trails that lead to old mines, some of the path was un-climbable on my dirtbike, not sure if I'm gonna try those on this wheelie machine.. . let a couple of friends ride it.. One was down at yamaha today lookin' to buy one, just needs the green light from his wife (she already said yes, but when he called to ask what color to get, she pulled the plug.. i've decided to stay away from their house till he disposes of the body).

All in all, 100% satisfied with the Raptor.. even got the reverse down pat now.. and man has it come in handy ::flips off the DS 650 he nearly bought::

#14 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was really busy the last little while.

RidingBlind said:
Exactly what I was lookin for, thanks a bunch .. also, since the pipe is so restrictive on the Raptors, isn't it fighting an uphill battle by getting more air in with this setup?

I've done a lot of mods on street bikes and I've owned 2 dirt bikes (restored one from a pile of rust), so i'm very comfortable with tinkering with the quad, heck, i'm lookin' forward to it.

Should I wait on a pipe before jetting it, or just keep the jets only slightly larger than stock? (engine only has about 15min on it so far)
It is kind of an uphill fight, but the main reason I recommend the adapter setup is to eliminate the stock filter setup since it is known for letting dirt into the carbs. Plus every little gain is a little gain... :hey:
Also, when dirtwheels did a pipe shootout for the YFZ a while back they said removing the airbox lid actually gave the bike more HP than any pipe. I know that is for the YFZ, but if they saw that much of a gain in HP for the YFZ the Raptor should get some sort of noticable increase off the same mode. :tup:

RaptorAxe said:
hey tease , whats the number on that breather filter?? kickbutt idea I think :TB:
The K&N one is 62-1100. I ordered mine by clicking on a link off the k&n website (www.knfilters.com) but I have heard most auto parts stores either carry them or can order you one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.