Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have read that keeping the stock carb setting is not good. so I'm asking all of u in your infant wisdom what would be the best jet kit both performance and bang for your buck? i have a 04 raptor with no mods besides a modified air box and a k&n filter. my friends think that the carb is already jetted but i just don't know so i would like to start a new. my riding elevation ranges from 5500-8500 feet. is that to much of a gap to find a happy medium? please tell me everything I'm new to this and very eager to learn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
go with the dyno jet kit. its around 80 bucks, but dang whole new machine, better throttle responce and a bit more power. it also doesnt take as long to warm up either. dynojet.com

·
Registered
296 Posts
I usually just buy the individual jets from the stealership myself. About $4 for mains and $7 for Pilots last I got some. You can also order from 'Jets-R-Us' online, heard they do a great job.

Personally, if I were to buy a kit it would be the Vito's kit for I think $50/60. Comes with MORE than you'd need- much more inclusive than any other kit on the market and cheaper as well. Needles and extended A/F screws :tup: (http://www.vitosperformance.com/atv_parts/product.php?productid=11149&cat=319&page=1)

Don't guess at your bike being jetted. Running lean can really damage your engine ! Take your carbs apart, clean them (should be done at least once a year if not a few times), and check out what jets you have in the bike. Stock jetting isn't bad- it's just setup for a stock bike. Any change to the intake or exhaust will require tuning the carbs to make it run properly and to it's potential. Stock sizes are 140L/145R w/ 22.5 pilots.

At your altitude, with that intake you should probably be running at least 150/155 mains if not bigger IMO. Not sure if you'd need to change your pilots to 25's quite yet without a pipe, but hard to say- I generally ride right about sea level, no experience jetting at that high of an alt.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I agree with SegKast, just buy the individual mains and pilots or the vitos kit. The dynojet is based on a different sizing scale and you have to use their needles with their mains. Remove the carbs and let use know what you have. These carbs are finicky though, so if the plugs looks good...Id leave it. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
I ran a dynojet kit when I ran stock carbs. They have a nice kit. Most of your riding is done on the needles. That is why I would chose ethire a dynojet or genuine Yamaha GYTR jet kit. I would not compromise on the jetting hardware to gain 2 snazzy aluminum fuel screws. I had no problem adjusting the stock screws with a cordless screwdriver bit. The extended fuel screws are also made out of aluminum, not brass like the oem ones. Brass can be machined more accurarly, and holds its shape better.

The dynojet kit also comes with softer slide springs. This helps increase throttle responce. The kit doesn't come with #25 pilots. You can buy them if you need them. They might not be nessary with just a filter at your elevation.

·
Registered
296 Posts
No doubt. I wouldn't go with Vito's just because of the thumb screws either :lol: More the price :lol: Nothing wrong with DynoJet either, I'm just more inclined to Mikuni jets because I'm more familiar with the way their sizing works.

Really, you just need a jet kit. Which one isn't something you should stress on

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Yea that is just my preferance and why. If you want to use mikuni numbers then I would go with a GYTR jet kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i got a dyno jet kit and installed yesterday and it runs ok but it dies after a little bit in idle and at mid to high rpms im getting white out the exhaust. isnt that to lean? plus at the same rpm range it boobles and aks like it not getting enough gas. jets are 140/142 with a 55 pilot(that was in there) needles set on 4 clip three turns on fuel mixture. plus i just ajusted my floats to spec so? any ideas

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Take that dyno jet kit and get a refund its trash. Stock mikuni jets are 140/145, you just installed dyno jets 140/142 which is equal to 131/133 mikuni. So you would need dynojet 150/154 just to equal to stock if that makes sense. Something does not sound right, a 55 pilot?

Most raptors run around 145/150 w/no snorkle and 170/175 w/no lid and exhaust. Thats with mikuni jets. #25 pilots at about 1-3/4 to 2 turns out on mixture screw. Your elevation though is pretty high so stock jets would be o.k. Im only at 800-1200. Remember lower elevation runs lean/needs richer jets and higher elevation runs rich/needs leaner jets.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Take that dyno jet kit and get a refund its trash.
What experiance do you have with Dynojet to justify this claim? You must have seen the dynojet to mikuni converision chart that is dead wrong. Dynojet is a industry leader in powersports dyno's. They probably have never even tested there own kit.

I have ran a dynojet kit from the time I had just a pipe and filter when I bought my raptor new in 2003. It is an excelent kit if you dont let some one scare you away "because the jets are numberd differently".

With a full exhaust no air box lid and a K&N filter you run a dj 146/148 or a 148/150 depending on which full exhaust your running.

When I ran my kenz ported 720 I ran a dj160/165.

You need to do something different with the pilot jets or figure out what is really in there. There is no way you need or actually have a 55 Pilot in the stock mikuni carbs.

What all have you done to the air box?

·
Registered
296 Posts
:tdown: What ? That's like saying 'Get a refund for your Snap-on tools, they're trash - get Craftsman'... They'll both do the job just fine and there's nothing wrong with either.

The ONLY differences between Mikuni and DJ are the way they list the jet's 'sizing'. :shrug: A Mikuni jet is no better than the equal size DJ jet and vice-versa.

Just because you can't figure out their sizing doesn't make them trash. :roll: Absolutely a quality product.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
:tdown: What ? That's like saying 'Get a refund for your Snap-on tools, they're trash - get Craftsman'... They'll both do the job just fine and there's nothing wrong with either.

The ONLY differences between Mikuni and DJ are the way they list the jet's 'sizing'. :shrug: A Mikuni jet is no better than the equal size DJ jet and vice-versa.

Just because you can't figure out their sizing doesn't make them trash. :roll: Absolutely a quality product.
x2.

DJ148 main is in the neighborhood of a 165 mikuni.

Plus the dynojet kit comes with softer slide springs to increase throttle responce. That is something vito's and the GYTR Jet kit doesnt come with.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
What experiance do you have with Dynojet to justify this claim? You must have seen the dynojet to mikuni converision chart that is dead wrong. Dynojet is a industry leader in powersports dyno's. They probably have never even tested there own kit.

I have ran a dynojet kit from the time I had just a pipe and filter when I bought my raptor new in 2003. It is an excelent kit if you dont let some one scare you away "because the jets are numberd differently".

With a full exhaust no air box lid and a K&N filter you run a dj 146/148 or a 148/150 depending on which full exhaust your running.

When I ran my kenz ported 720 I ran a dj160/165.

You need to do something different with the pilot jets or figure out what is really in there. There is no way you need or actually have a 55 Pilot in the stock mikuni carbs.

What all have you done to the air box?
The experiance I have with this kit, is that I installed it way back in 01,used the biggest jets in the kit and it ran like shit. Made a few wfo passes checked plug and piston and it was lean as all hell. And that was with a full system, pro-flow filter w/snorkle trimmed. Funny that conversion chart is all over on thumper talk and moddedraptor. Someone must have wasted alot of time then...dunno May be good for higher elevation but not mine.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts

Who said I cant figure out the sizing? I just did in my post. Listen what the point in spending $80 for the kit when the jets you get are very limited and are not big enough. Then you have to order more anyways. The springs are nice with the needles but is wasted money when you can go to the dealer get about 4 mains, 2 pilots for about $20 tops. Then keep the mikuni needles with the mikuni mains. No more swapping parts....way easier!

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Who said I cant figure out the sizing? I just did in my post. Listen what the point in spending $80 for the kit when the jets you get are very limited and are not big enough. Then you have to order more anyways. The springs are nice with the needles but is wasted money when you can go to the dealer get about 4 mains, 2 pilots for about $20 tops. Then keep the mikuni needles with the mikuni mains. No more swapping parts....way easier!
Then you still dont have a pair of needles. Most of your riding is done on the needle and the factory needle in the carb is not ideal for performance with aftermarket exhaust and air box mods.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm done argueing with children over stupid shit on this site. Don't get your panties in a bunch w/ me just because you wasted $80 on a kit 10 years ago :lmao:

Mikuni, DJ, what ever the hell you want. They both work great. Most ANY kit you buy will not include every possible thing every person in every situation will need. Apparently that's a shock to some people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow i didn't mean to start an argument. anyways back to my question can some one help me? isn't white smoke to lean? what should i do? the only mods i did to the air box is cut out some plastic like it showed in the kit for better flow. thanks for all the comments and the laughs. keep it coming people.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You need to get into the carbs and see what jets are in there.

You'll probably want to go with something close to 25's for pilots, and maybe 165/170 for mains ?

I ride at sea level, so I'm not sure how much and where the altitude really changes things. Without a dyno it's kind of a trial and error process. You're about to become very familiar with your carbs :lol:

By the way, I'd recommend replacing those shitty (easily stripped) brass screws on the float bowls with an allen or hex-head screw. Should be about $.02-.05 each, and will make your life a million times easier when trying to get the bike properly tunes (into the carbs/ then test riding a few times more than likely)

This might help with the tuning:

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Yea deffinalty reaplace the carb bowl scews. You need to know what is in the carbs. You will want to run a 22.5 or a 25.0 pilot jet. 55 is way to big if that is what is in there.

White smoke is not lean. I didnt know lean had smoke other than piston chunks (glitter) coming out the exhaust.

Blue / white = oil
Black = rich
White and sweet smelling = coolant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts