Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wanting to know is it hard to install a stage one hotcam. I am about to attempt it next week, and I have the shop manual and was reading it, but reading something and doing it is two different things. When I went to Hotcams web site the say don't use molybdeum grease, but the shop manual says to ues it, so I don't know what to use. And do I adjust the valves to stock setting or is there aftermarket setting after the cam is installed. One more question can I run pump gas with the stage one. Thank you in advance sorry so long.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Installing a stage 1 hotcam is very simple. Just make sure to reset the cam chain tensioner and make sure the quad is at TDC before removing the cam and valve cover. And dont forget to take the auto decompression piece out of the stock cam and put it into the new cam.

Have an more questions, just PM me....

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If it says not to use the grease then don't use it. That grease must be just for the stock cam. Yes, you can run pump gas.

·
Registered
245 Posts
notto sound like an idiot here, but im sure i will, when you get a hotcam, does it come with instructions on how to install it or do you just get the cam? lol also, do you adjust the valves to the stock settings?

·
Registered
686 Posts
It says not to use MOLY grease .. you STILL need to use grease when assembling the cam .. the moly grease will jack up your clutch (make it slip) that is why they ask you not to use it

·
Super Moderator
8,571 Posts
Take your time and just make sure to put it together exactly like it came apart.

As for the Decompression stuff, just pay attention to how it comes apart, and then when you have it apart, take a moment to study how it works. Once you understand how it works you will not put it toghether wrong.. Make sure when you pull the piece out of the center of the cam you get ready for the pin spring to fly out...

·
Registered
138 Posts
is the stage 1 the best cam in its power range, any other makes like megacycle or web make a decent cam for the low & mid range.

·
Super Moderator
8,571 Posts
r said:
is the stage 1 the best cam in its power range, any other makes like megacycle or web make a decent cam for the low & mid range.
The more aggressive the cam profile, the higher in the RPM range your torque curve will shift..

You can build a torque monster with 12:1 compression and the biggest cam known to man, with the right gearing..

But yes a Stage 1 Cam will not drastically affect your low end power on stock gearing. The Hot Cam is a very affordable cam and is easy to install. It does not require higher tension springs, so there is no need to pull the head off.

As for the other makes of cam, the Hot Cam is the least expensive for what you are getting. The Hot Cam is a billet cam, no core needed, the other manufacturers make hard weld cams that are nearly the same price as the hot-cam, but their Billet cams are much more costly...

·
Super Moderator
8,571 Posts
I just finished mine last night, so I'll be performing a break in and sometime in the next week or so, I will perform a seat of the pants dyno check..

·
Registered
62 Posts
hotcam

I will be installing my Hotcam stage 1 soon. Will my jetting be close to start with (see signature)?

·
Registered
529 Posts
How much power will the cam add? Will I notice the difference when I ride it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The more aggressive the cam profile, the higher in the RPM range your torque curve will shift..

You can build a torque monster with 12:1 compression and the biggest cam known to man, with the right gearing..

But yes a Stage 1 Cam will not drastically affect your low end power on stock gearing. The Hot Cam is a very affordable cam and is easy to install. It does not require higher tension springs, so there is no need to pull the head off.

As for the other makes of cam, the Hot Cam is the least expensive for what you are getting. The Hot Cam is a billet cam, no core needed, the other manufacturers make hard weld cams that are nearly the same price as the hot-cam, but their Billet cams are much more costly...
so if I have a stage 1 hot cam and a 12:1 piston kit, if I remove the decomp stuff it would start and run or am I forced to get a stage 2?

·
Super Moderator
8,571 Posts
you can run a stage 1 it will have some grunt. Removing the de-comp on a 12:1 engine is going to stress the starter clutch and starter. You will eventually need an aftermarket 1 way and more than likely a heavy duty Solenoid setup. You can find info on both in this forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts