Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idling really rich can drive around but backfires about 1/2 throttle or more. Ran with the air box off can get to about 3/4 then backfiring bad. Have new cylinder head, new valves etc. They are set at.003 for the intake and.005 for the exhaust. DG exhaust i modified the airbox trying to get more free flow by drilling 1/4 holes in the top part at the back of the airbox under the seat. 10 holes. Have a mikuni carb jetting is 45 pilot and 140 main. After warm idles poorly and will stall out unless I turn the idle screw up pretty high in my opinion. I can turn the fuel mixture screw all the way in though and it still runs. So I have a jet kit and rebuild kit in the way. Going to clean the xarb again and let it soak in some cleaner over night but I'm at a loss and have more than I'd like invested into this thing. Any help is appreciated...

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
make sure that diaphragm does not have any holes and that you did not roll the seal when you put the top on. just spray some starting fluid around the carb and see if it revs up. you dont give an elevation but with an open air box i would guess you need to be 47.5 150 for jetting. did you get your jet kit yet? what brand is the kit

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well there is definitely unburned fuel when idling. There is a coasting enricher diaphragm according to the service manaul. I guess I never had that out. It very well could be damaged.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
i was talking about the slide diaphragm, its pretty rare to have an issue with the enrichener but possible. have you checked the plug for color? if you have unburned fuel make sue the o ring and washer are on the air mix screw and that there is not 2 o rings in there and check your float. the symptoms you describe sound more like a lean issue to me if its carb but without me seeing it i cant be sure. another common thing on the wolverines that cause you symptoms is a weak pick up coil. i think that has 2 a high speed and a low speed. use your meter and make sure the stator and the pickups are in spec

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea the diaphragm the top that operates the slide is perfectly fine. Operates correctly it stinks like gas when running. Starts and idles fine til warm or if u take it for a ride then acts like its drowning in gas. Will stall eventually like unburned fuel flooding it. Will start up if you press the throttle and will rev in neutral but not as smooth i would say and then will idle for a bit and die.... unless u cut off the fuel then it idles back up for a bit until of course the bowl becomes empty and then will have a lean misfire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm kind of new to this. I actually was leaning towards cdi or coils as well. How exactly can I test the pickup coils? Do I have to take the crank case cover off. I was gonna go through and replace all the grounds. I thought maybe a poor ground or something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Plug is black and sooty. This quad is my first the original owner I think had some issues for a while and lied to me about it but neither here nor there. He was running some cheap copper core plugs. So when I first got it after cleaning the carb I put an ngk in it. Still got black right away ive cleaned it it will be black and sooty everytime.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
the specs should be in your manual with a step by step. i have never checked a wolverine my self but in general no youi dont you will just unplug them where they exit the stator cover and test them there. an auto ranging ohm meter makes it eaiser but any ohm meter will work. there are lots of you tube on how to read a meter. you are correct in general a black plug is rich if it is a carb issue but a misfire will cause it as well. like i said eariler make sure your idle screw assembly is correct double check the float height and check the pickups and stator. i assume you checked the compression after the new head and valves and that is all good

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok thank you. I will take your advice i probably won't get to it for a day or two but I will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
ok i will be around until Wednesday and then back at the lake for 4 days but i will watch for your posts on my phone if you need anything

1 - 18 of 18 Posts