Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago i notced when i slowing down without the clutch pulled in it would "rattle". I thought nothing of it...figure it was hitting skid plate or something. Tonight when i was riding it threw the chain, so i pushed her home and put it back on. RIght after i went to drag a YZ125, put it in 2nd, when i hit the gas it grinds... i let off as soon as i heard it so i dont know if it slips. 1st is fine, ony 2nd was doing it. I didnt try 3rd. Brought it home put it on the stand and fired it up. As soon as you put it in gear the tires move, even with the clutch in, and i can hear a faint noise on the clutch side...still shifts easy, just worried about the noise. tearing it apart tomorrow. Just wondering what to look for

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Shure sounds like the tranny. My friend's '01 does the same thing...grinds badly in second. Wierd that it would do it on an '03 though.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Check your Sprokets !! Front and rear. They could be servely worn. This happened on mine and it would grind when you gave it a blip of the throttle.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AyeKay said:
Check your Sprokets !! Front and rear. They could be servely worn. This happened on mine and it would grind when you gave it a blip of the throttle.
check the obvious 1st right??? been there done that.. both are still like brand new :(

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
CRAPTOR said:
03 tranny blowing 01 maybe maybe, the clutch basket maybe, hopefully its something a lot cheeper
You make no sense.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know....sounds to me like it's the clutch if the wheels are spinning even while you have your clutch pulled in - check your clutch cable adjustment first, then the cable, then the clutch basket......hopefully it's just the clutch - it's alot cheaper! :) ;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
400grl said:
I don't know....sounds to me like it's the clutch if the wheels are spinning even while you have your clutch pulled in - check your clutch cable adjustment first, then the cable, then the clutch basket......hopefully it's just the clutch - it's alot cheaper! :) ;)
dont look to be that way... i got the clutch cover off last night and everything is fine in there. Pulling the engine and splitting the cases tonight after work

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh man......that's too bad......well, at last your tranny didn't jam up and your clutch basket looks good - when ours went out one time, it took out the whole clutch basket and everything else in the lower case........it sucked!!! :s96:

Let us know what you find! It's kind of fun finding the carnage! :) In a wierd, expensive sort of way! LOL!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You have to check it by riding it or taking it apart. Having it on the stand, the clutch will still have enough friction that the tires will move, so don't go by that. That's why the bike is harder to push while in gear and the clutch pulled versus the bike in neutral. Hopefully it's nothing too expensive. 1st and 3rd were the problems with some 01's but not all. Don't see it happening on an '03 but anything is possible.

·
Registered
393 Posts
it started grinding and slowing down when you were off the gas? Then it threw the chain?

rear axle bearings.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Can't be that, he said it only did it in second gear. It was the second gear shifter dog that was the problem, not 1st gear. I don't know if you read the sticky about the tranny issue yet. That might answer a few questions. Good luck. :tup:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
warrior007 said:
it started grinding and slowing down when you were off the gas? Then it threw the chain?

rear axle bearings.
definatly not that the axel bearings, they are nearly new. Maybe a month old. Besides the bang statred after i threw the chain and got it back on. When i got the clutch cover off and turned the shaft the basket sits on by hand i can hear a clunk in the case about one time every revolution. I think the shit fork for 2nd went. Im not taking chances. I am for sure splitting the cases. I'd hate to test my luck and bomb the whole engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts