Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of BT members hunt with a bow, but I hunt with the good ol' 30-06. I'm 14 and in the 4 years I've carried a gun, I've seen 3 or 4 deer too far off for a 30-30. I finally ditched the thing and am now using my dad's 30-06. I got a H.S. BucGrunter call from wal-mart for 6 bucks. It has the reed thing with adjustable flexible tube that deepens the sound. It also has a little o-ring on the reed the if moved forward is fawn, then doe, then young buck, then mature buck. I would like to know exactly how to use this? Say I'm sitting on a rock and a 6 pointer walks out. What do I do to get the sucker closer? What I'm asking is how do I use the call...short bleat, long drawnout call, how much to call, what type of call (fawn, doe, young buck, mature buck), how to adjust the flexible tube...etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I'm sure it comes with instructions right? Either way though, I would think it would be used more to get a deer within sight. Using the call once they're close will probably give you away. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sort of helped... but my call has the flexible tube on the end, you can make it longer or shorter or turn it or whatever. What does it do? If it is stretched all the way out does it make it deeper?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
When the deer gets in closer to where you canm see him, then you use shorted low pitched grunts.To make them pull out the tube a little and wheeze into it for about 1/4 second so it gets his attention.Then he will start to move towards you in curiosity.To lure them in from when you can't see them, do about 3-6 longer drawn out medium low pitched grunts.Also,try to imitate a pig kinda every 45 minutes or so when you call so it makes a grunt/wheeze kind of call.This works great :tup:You might want to look into a .223 or .243 also for longer range shots :tup: Keep in mind though, only call every 45 minutes to an hour, any more and it will spook deer and you won't get them to where you can see them.When you can see them grunt every few minutes so he can come in on his own.DO NOT grunt if he is looking at you!A good thing to do also is shoot them when their head is down,they don't have time then to look and run.They will try to run with their head down most of the time and end up falling closer to you :tup:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
factory effex said:
When the deer gets in closer to where you canm see him, then you use shorted low pitched grunts.To make them pull out the tube a little and wheeze into it for about 1/4 second so it gets his attention.Then he will start to move towards you in curiosity.To lure them in from when you can't see them, do about 3-6 longer drawn out medium low pitched grunts.Also,try to imitate a pig kinda every 45 minutes or so when you call so it makes a grunt/wheeze kind of call.This works great :tup:You might want to look into a .223 or .243 also for longer range shots :tup: Keep in mind though, only call every 45 minutes to an hour, any more and it will spook deer and you won't get them to where you can see them.When you can see them grunt every few minutes so he can come in on his own.DO NOT grunt if he is looking at you!A good thing to do also is shoot them when their head is down,they don't have time then to look and run.They will try to run with their head down most of the time and end up falling closer to you :tup:
I wouldn't take his advice..some of it is true..but not really. Up here where I live in The adirondacks (New York) when we call, we usually use fawn bleats. ANd then when we do use our grunt calls its either to stop a buck when its running, or when we are ratteling. I strongly suggest getting a set of horns, and try ratteling. I have killed over 14 bucks using this method in the past 10 years. But back to answer your calling method. It took me a lot of trial and error to get it right. I used to scare the deer away, instead of calling them in. There is tending grunts which you do about 4 real short grunts. Then you have a regular grunt, which is about a second long, in a real soft deep tone. Call about every 25-30 minutes. If and when you do call a buck in, if he is coming towards you, dont grunt, becuase he will pick you off. BUt if he is looking, grunt about twice, and do the long ones.
About the 30-30. I have killed more deer with my 30-30, then I have with my muzzleloader, bow, and my .300. and, .270. I have made 175 yard shots with my 30-30. But, anyways...hope this helps!

·
Registered
615 Posts
just buy some rat poison and set up a bunch of sweet corn mixed with rat poison.

No deer call, no gun, no fuss , no muss , no nonsense. Its what I would do, but what do I know. I do the civilized thing and go to my local grocery store.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BLUinNE said:
just buy some rat poison and set up a bunch of sweet corn mixed with rat poison.

No deer call, no gun, no fuss , no muss , no nonsense. Its what I would do, but what do I know. I do the civilized thing and go to my local grocery store.
Ok then.. that helps so much :roll: :tup:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
BLUinNE said:

Yeah, jjst what I'd do. Poision it then eat it :roll: Stupid ass :tdown:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
factory effex said:
BLUinNE said:

:lol:

·
Registered
615 Posts
factory effex said:
BLUinNE said:

sorry if Im not as redneckified/ganstah as you but I truly don't even see the sport in shooting a deer. Chase it down and kill it with a knife and then you will impress me.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
BLUinNE said:

you buy deer meat at the grocery store? :lmao:
what state do you live in? because ive NEVER seen venison at our locan grocery store.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BLUinNE said:
factory effex said:
BLUinNE said:

sorry if Im not as redneckified/ganstah as you but I truly don't even see the sport in shooting a deer. Chase it down and kill it with a knife and then you will impress me.
I'll give you 500 bucks when you can chase down a deer and stab it with a knife :roll:
Hunting is great fun.. get to commune with nature, shoot stuff, get all bloody, then fry em up on the grill and have deer jerky marrinated in terriyaki sauce.. mmmm :hey:

·
Registered
839 Posts
set up a nice big comfy stand, a good reliable feeder, sit and wait.

·
Registered
615 Posts
NitrousGuy said:
BLUinNE said:

what state do you live in? because ive NEVER seen venison at our locan grocery store.
Im sure you have heard of Smith's right ?

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
BLUinNE said:
NitrousGuy said:
BLUinNE said:

isent that a specialty store?

·
Registered
615 Posts
NitrousGuy said:
BLUinNE said:
NitrousGuy said:
BLUinNE said:

i think it depends where you go but not around here but maybe where you live? Either way they carry it, I have also seen them carry cow brains and other weird stuff so I dont know.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
BLUinNE said:
NitrousGuy said:
BLUinNE said:
NitrousGuy said:
BLUinNE said:

i think it depends where you go but not around here but maybe where you live? Either way they carry it, I have also seen them carry cow brains and other weird stuff so I dont know.
no shit?

whats the stores full name? it it just Smith's?
cause now ya got me interested.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts