Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a Blaster or two for my boys. How old should they be? I dont want to hear none of the Bull S*** about having to be 16 or what ever. We would be riding sand on my property. Any personal experience would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
well how old r they both. i started when i was 15 on an 88 and am 17 and bought another blaster 2001. They r a good starter quad and wont out grow for a while. PLus if u r afraid of the speed of a blaster u can turn in the govenor screw at the handle bars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
as long and they no how to ride the blaster is a good quad for any age i have a blaster. it is also a very good quad. good luck :tup:

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
its really more what size they are. go to the dealership and have them sit on a blaster just to see how they fit on it. as long as they can reach everything normally it should be good. take it for a ride if you get them one and if you think its too fast turn the throttle limiter down and your set :tup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought an 04 for my son,he just turned 11 the other day,the bigest problem he has, is he is'nt heavy enough to kick start the bike and his hands are kind of on the small side,so he kinda has to reach for the clutch,other then that the bike is perfect for him,and for only riding the bike one time,he was getting those problems under control,,all in all,I think I bought him the best qaud I could have,as he advance's,I can just add more and more hop-ups rather than haveing to buy him a new quad again

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
if they can do a clutch or can learn, and they are decent age to be able to control it it should be fine, just it might be a little hard to kickstart it, i started ridin mine when i was 13 and i only weighed 100 punds and i race it, so as long as he is responsible, and knows how to ride some what, go ahead, when i was 7 i would have my dad kickover the machine and i would ride it around at a field, he just turned the throttle screw in and turned up the idle until i knew how to use the clutch, so how old are your kids and how big are they? weight,height

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey black eye I bought my Daughter a blaster for her 8th birthday, she is now 9 & follows me everywhere, But I did start her on a motorcycle at 5. In the dunes she rides the quad & dez she rides a ttr90. [/img]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont't everyone flame me, but my sons are younger than 8 but both big for there age. I am sure I will have to set the throttle stop down etc to start out. Also in sand it is not like dirt - more forgiving of giving too much throttle. I guess I need to find a min. and see how Kyle fits on it. Like someone said if he can comfortably reach the controls... he should be able to grow into it. I can fix anything so I dont think I would have to buy a new quad for years - just fix up the blaster. The kick start is my only reservation but 2 strokes arnt too bad compared to 4 strokes.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
black eye said:
Dont't everyone flame me, but my sons are younger than 8 but both big for there age. I am sure I will have to set the throttle stop down etc to start out. Also in sand it is not like dirt - more forgiving of giving too much throttle. I guess I need to find a min. and see how Kyle fits on it. Like someone said if he can comfortably reach the controls... he should be able to grow into it. I can fix anything so I dont think I would have to buy a new quad for years - just fix up the blaster. The kick start is my only reservation but 2 strokes arnt too bad compared to 4 strokes.
My little brother kicked over on my blaster after is was sitting for a week. And he is 9.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i love my blaster to death but if ur lookin for one then so u know mines for sale :nod:

·
Registered
306 Posts
my mom cant even kick mine over....u must not have much compression, trailboss, or ur brothers really fat and u dropped him on the kcik starter
________
Buy Cannabis Seeds

·
Registered
24 Posts
i agree with everyone else,if hes big enough to control it then it will be a great quad, great for beginners, my brother is 12 and he had never ridden a quad, and my dad bought him a blaster and he learned quick, its a good quad for smaller kids!

·
Registered
246 Posts
My son went from his LT80 to a 2000 Blaster when he was 8.He gets better everytime we go :tup: .I'm getting him a twist throttle next cause his thumb always hurts after awhile.He has a dirt bike so he is used to the twist .

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
are u ppl nuts an 8 year old on a friggin blaster they will die and i garentue that doing thats like suiside for ur kid man even with the screw down jeez do more research bud

·
Registered
984 Posts
2strokeduner said:
are u ppl nuts an 8 year old on a friggin blaster they will die and i garentue that doing thats like suiside for ur kid man even with the screw down jeez do more research bud
Dude go away and don't ever return. If you do make sure you don't post something as stupid and ignorant as that. You don't know the childs size or weigh or his previous riding expierience.

Black eye, The blaster is not at all hard to start. It kicks over very easily. I got mine when I was 11. I probably weighed 80-100 pounds. At first i thought it was hard but it was just because i wasn't doing it right. I was trying to start it by dropping all my weight on it. I realised i had to actually kick it with my leg and then it was easy.The blaster is a great begginer quad. The throttle limiter can be turned in so much it won't even hit the powerband.

PS. If you are going to get the blaster. make sure you get one with disc brakes. I think they started putting good brakes on them in like 03. Or is it 04? I don't know. I think the pre 04 blasters had to have the absolute worst brakes of any full sized 4 wheeler.Get in any water and they are gone. But thats why they are putting raptor brakes on them now. Any extra money to get a new one is absolutely worth it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
2strokeduner said:
Maybe if you learned how to ride as young as some kids, you could've been riding your Blaster a little earlier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
im 13 and 105 lbs...i just recently got a 04 blaster for christmas and b4 that i did a littlre riding with my bff on her blaster...never really knew how to ride but after 2 days of riding i mastered it and wanna make it faster...im sure itll be perfect for them..good luck :tup:

·
Registered
122 Posts
They should be fine if they have riding experience- if not I wouldnt put an 8 year old with 0 riding ability ona blaster. Maybe wait a year if they have no experience.

BTW this is the first time I heard of people not being able to kick the blaster over. .. . its not hard at all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts