Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was working on a friends 85 Warrior. After many hours we got the carb rebuilt and she started right up. Little did I know there was not a drop of oil in it. Ran for about 2 miles and it crapped out. You can get compression by spinning the motor by hand but when you try to electric start it it the starter just spins with no sound from the piston or motor. Could the two issues be related? I beleive it might be the benedex from the starter. Do these engines from that year have any kind of failsafe to running without oil? We do no really want to do an upper end rebuild.
TLDR: Ran warrior without oil and now will not start but you get compression when cranking by hand.
Thank you for you time guys!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
the first warrior was built in 87 so either you have the year wrong or the model. if it is indeed a warrior they do not have a bendix. they are a fixed shaft with a one way gear mounted to the back of the flywheel and go out fairly often. this would cause symptoms as you describe with the electric start. if it has a pull start I suspect it is an 87 or early 88 unless it has had a rope start retrofitted. is there a decompression lever on the exhaust valve? there is no failsafe for low oil the computer on these machines is not much more that a fancy set of points with a rev limiter. while the top end may be of concern if you still have good compression your biggest worries are the rod bearing, oil pump, an the bearings in the transmission. I may have got hot enough fast enough to just shut down but if not you are looking at a complete rebuild and probably not worth it on a machine that old unless you have sentimental value or a bunch of cool parts bolted to it. if it was me I would put oil in and run it if it does not make a bunch of noise run it and have fun. if it has a death clatter part it out. I have seen the cdi alone for an 87 go for a couple hundred bucks because they don't remanufacture one for that year. the head and pull start are worth quite a bit as well. you could spend a grand on parts pretty quickly rebuilding one and they are not worth a ton more than that. not sure what tldr means.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the first warrior was built in 87 so either you have the year wrong or the model. if it is indeed a warrior they do not have a bendix. they are a fixed shaft with a one way gear mounted to the back of the flywheel and go out fairly often. this would cause symptoms as you describe with the electric start. if it has a pull start I suspect it is an 87 or early 88 unless it has had a rope start retrofitted. is there a decompression lever on the exhaust valve? there is no failsafe for low oil the computer on these machines is not much more that a fancy set of points with a rev limiter. while the top end may be of concern if you still have good compression your biggest worries are the rod bearing, oil pump, an the bearings in the transmission. I may have got hot enough fast enough to just shut down but if not you are looking at a complete rebuild and probably not worth it on a machine that old unless you have sentimental value or a bunch of cool parts bolted to it. if it was me I would put oil in and run it if it does not make a bunch of noise run it and have fun. if it has a death clatter part it out. I have seen the cdi alone for an 87 go for a couple hundred bucks because they don't remanufacture one for that year. the head and pull start are worth quite a bit as well. you could spend a grand on parts pretty quickly rebuilding one and they are not worth a ton more than that. not sure what tldr means.
Hot enough to shut down? is this a common occurrence? What would the free spinning be? That shaft? Ill have to check when I go back up north. TLDR means too long didn't read. Basically internet for summary. Also what would cause the shaft to break during that overheating period? I just need a logical break down of how that would have happened during that period. Also the pull start is toast!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
what can happen with no oil is the bearings heat and expand to the point they no longer turn causing the motor to die, normally fatal but if you are really lucky it might be ok. very common when you run without oil. the free spinning would be the shaft/gear coming out of the starter. it is basically a gear cut into the arbor of the starter motor. the way that starter works is the shaft is constantly engaged to a one way gear. when the starter motor is spinning faster or equal to the engine speed it is lock to the flywheel and when the motor starts and is spinning faster than the starter it unlocks. when it goes bad the starter shaft just spins or locks tight. my guess is the starter and shaft are ok it is the one way gear that is toast.probably unrelated but it could have been caused by the lack of oil. the one way gear and flywheel is normally bathed in oil so it could have been rusted and ruined before you started from being dry. or the lack of oil destroyed it when it was running. either way you will have to pull the side case and flywheel to repair it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what can happen with no oil is the bearings heat and expand to the point they no longer turn causing the motor to die, normally fatal but if you are really lucky it might be ok. very common when you run without oil. the free spinning would be the shaft/gear coming out of the starter. it is basically a gear cut into the arbor of the starter motor. the way that starter works is the shaft is constantly engaged to a one way gear. when the starter motor is spinning faster or equal to the engine speed it is lock to the flywheel and when the motor starts and is spinning faster than the starter it unlocks. when it goes bad the starter shaft just spins or locks tight. my guess is the starter and shaft are ok it is the one way gear that is toast.probably unrelated but it could have been caused by the lack of oil. the one way gear and flywheel is normally bathed in oil so it could have been rusted and ruined before you started from being dry. or the lack of oil destroyed it when it was running. either way you will have to pull the side case and flywheel to repair it.
Ill give update next week once up im up there I will examine further! Thank you !

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought a warrior 350 that had a spare machine with it, the second warrior had a blown engine that was run without oil. When I opened it up this is what I found:

Seized camshaft, causing the cam sprocket pin to shear, seized idler bearings inside the case, scoring on the piston, Oil pump in pieces. The cause in unknown because the oil supply tube that carries oil to the top end was laying inside the right side cover when I opened it, after digging deeper I found the shattered oil pump impeller and housing.
Pull the starter and inspect it , it's two bolts and a wire. If its not the starter it is the gear as the previous gentlemen here posted or something more major. Also inspect the camshaft and see if the cam sprocket is still indexed with the cam itself.
Please note my machine had oil to bathe the crank, just wasnt pumping to the top end, yours may be damaged more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts