Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother just bought a 2002 Raptor decided to change oil. Drained oil fine put filter in he says he put 1/2 qt in resevior filled it up oil not going down to engine. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You have to start the engine for 2-3 seconds after you fill the tank. Put in the amount the service manual says. You have to check the oil when it is at 140 degrees to get an accurate reading. Loosen the screw on the side of the cylinder after you have finished putting the oil in and have started it to make sure you are getting oil flow. :dude:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My question was why is it only taking 1/2 qt can't be good to start it when all the oil is in resivoir none in motor

·
Registered
509 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is if he drained it all, and maybe ask him how muc came out when he drained it.

If your worried about running it since there may not be much more than 1/2 qt of oil then just pull the plug wire so it wont see any real rpm. Since it runs on bearings and not bushings like a car there should still be enough lube on the bearings to handle such a low rpm with no load.

One other thing is that the oil tank should hold more than 1/2qt so this one should be interesting.

good luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
Read the service manual. You drained the engine and the tank both right? Two seprate bolts. :nod:

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
440ex4me said:
Since it runs on bearings and not bushings like a car there should still be enough lube on the bearings to handle such a low rpm with no load.

good luck
bushings?

you mean plain bearings vs roller bearings?

·
Registered
416 Posts
if it only took 1/2 qt then he didnt drain the oil tank. There is a drain bolt on the bottem of the oil tank that needs to removed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well since he bought it new, have him take the oil screen out of the tank and clean it , mine was almost completely plugged after my rebuild when it came apart, would only take about 1/2 quart then would overflow.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Xtermiraptor said:
Well since he bought it new, have him take the oil screen out of the tank and clean it , mine was almost completely plugged after my rebuild when it came apart, would only take about 1/2 quart then would overflow.
Where is that and how do you get to it?

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
NitrousGuy said:
440ex4me said:
Since it runs on bearings and not bushings like a car there should still be enough lube on the bearings to handle such a low rpm with no load.

good luck
bushings?

Didnt Yugo's use plastic bushings instead of the old Pb-Sn-Sb "bushings"?? :lol: :lol: :wtf: :wtf:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Where is that and how do you get to it?
Bottom of the oil tank next to the drain plug...where your line is attached too.

·
Registered
509 Posts
NitrousGuy said:
440ex4me said:

good luck
bushings?

Well you got it right basically. :tup:

Though all of them are considered "anti-friction bearings" the plain bearings (also known as sleeve, slide, bronze, two piece and others) are just bushings, and there referenced that way because of the design and that they have no moving parts like a ball, roller or needle bearing etc.

I remember talking with a senior engineer at one of the German bearing companies when I first got into that industry about the cause of most auto engines using that style of bearing when there were so many other choices avail. and basically the simplified answer is that its due to cost, design of the engine and maint issues.

Seems we take better care of our stuff in our sport.

If anyone is really interested in knowing more about this etc I could dig up some links etc.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a problem like that... I was riding hard at little sahara(OK)... and my tranny kept going into nuetral...checked the oil tank and it was filled up...over flowing could that "screen" have been clogged? I just re-built the motor, and I know I put in the recomened amout of oil, even yama lube just incase. Yes, there was damage, now getting 686. Lower half being checked now. Mainly the cam bolt retainers broke in half and dropped in the cases some where.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts