Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that helmets are only designed to take one big blow then after that they're not really good anymore?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
87warrior87 said:
Is it true that helmets are only designed to take one big blow then after that they're not really good anymore?
What kind of blow? If your doin 60 and clip your head on a tree, if your still alive, I'd suggest buying a new one.. :lol:

The chin gaurd is designed to absorb alot of impact and will break easily if you hit it hard, because it's just designed to. Now if you hit the big part hard enough it will crack, but only if you really crash hard. I believe you can order new chin gaurds and visors for helmets. As long as your not bouncing off rocks every weekend your helmet will last you a while :tup:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I hit a dog going 70mph +. Well the local dealer told me that I should get a new helmet because the impact from my old one hitting the road is enough to cause internal stress and cracks. So they say Yes if you do take a good blow to the helmet it is smart to buy another one! I'd rather be safe then sorry :tup:

·
Registered
916 Posts
I broke a helmet at the front piece that goes over the face. It just cracked a little on the side. I didnt buy a new one right away I waited awhile but decided if I ever crased that bad again I want a better helmet. It depends on how old it is and how much money you have IMO. I used to were a helmet from the early 80's for snowmobling, but I think the one with a little crack may be safer. Just depends Remember something is better than nothing.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
They say that after one good hit, you should buy another. It won't be as effective the second, or third time you hit your head. Youre better off just buying a new one. I've hit my head a few times but I've never replaced mine :shrug:

·
Registered
416 Posts
There is a new Product called Shok SpotR.

Shok-SpotR™ is a calibrated sensor that visually warns you of a significant impact to your helmet. It mounts on your helmet shell permanently and easily, in a small, attractive, ultra-lightweight housing. When activated, Shok-SpotR™ alerts you to stop using your helmet and have it inspected by its manufacturer.

Check out http://www.shok-spotr.com/

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Yes, if you hit your head hard enough it is best to buy a new one. Helmets have a compressed layer of nitrogen between the shell, and the other part and when you hit your head really hard, that soaks up most of the impact. When that happens, the nitrogen is dispelled and there is nos pace between the shell and the other part. Next time you wreck it's not going to feel as good as it did before :tdown:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys i think im good for now though... lol

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
yammerhammer92 said:
I broke a helmet at the front piece that goes over the face. It just cracked a little on the side. I didnt buy a new one right away I waited awhile but decided if I ever crased that bad again I want a better helmet. It depends on how old it is and how much money you have IMO. I used to were a helmet from the early 80's for snowmobling, but I think the one with a little crack may be safer. Just depends Remember something is better than nothing.
They are supposed to crack, because they absorb alot of the hit. They are only thin plastic, you can't expect them to withstand.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i value my head in one peice so i would spend the loot to get a new one, better safe than sorry

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
LE660R said:
i value my head in one peice so i would spend the loot to get a new one, better safe than sorry
I'm not going to spend over $150 for a helmet everytime I fall off. I'd be getting alot of new ones

1 - 12 of 12 Posts