·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the headpipe get cherry red?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This is normal and it wont do it after the first couple times of installing the pipe. Unless your getting it that hot :scared: !

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
I drove my YFZ down to the mail box the other night. It was pitch dark out and when I got where ther were no lights at all, I noticed by pipe was red from where it attatches to the motor all the way to the first bend. During the day you can't tell though. I thought it looked kind of neat!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You think that is cool you should see your exhaust manifolds on your car or truck at 70 on the highway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is a misconception by most people that when the header is cherry red it is normal, with some fine tuning of the jetting it will disappear, it just means your running lean. Most people dont realize or maybe care that heat will kill and engine quicker than anything. Will your bike run faster the leaner you can make it, sure to a point, but beyond that point and you are actually losing power.

·
Registered
79 Posts
YFZ450_RDR said:
It is a misconception by most people that when the header is cherry red it is normal, with some fine tuning of the jetting it will disappear, it just means your running lean. Most people dont realize or maybe care that heat will kill and engine quicker than anything. Will your bike run faster the leaner you can make it, sure to a point, but beyond that point and you are actually losing power.
i tried larger pilot jet, more turns out on the fuel screw, choke pulled, etc,
it gets a bit less red, but the engine starts to stumble and does not run as it should, no worries, cherry read header is a common yfz thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
[/quote]i tried larger pilot jet, more turns out on the fuel screw, choke
pulled, etc, it gets a bit less red, but the engine starts to stumble and does not run as it should, no worries, cherry read header is a common yfz thing.[/quote]

All in the jetting, the WR motor and YFZ motor are very similiar in design, with neither of my bikes does the header glow cherry red and both run very strong. I only state to suggest that with proper tuning your bike will run strong and in the end your motor will last longer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well somebody needs to tell me how im lean then, i got a 48 pilot clip on #4 on ncvq needle and a 172 main, no way im lean any higher anywhere and it doesnt run without sputtering somewhere.believe me i tried,and my pipe glows bright red at nite, always has.

·
Registered
86 Posts
YFZ450_RDR said:
It is a misconception by most people that when the header is cherry red it is normal, with some fine tuning of the jetting it will disappear, it just means your running lean. quote]

It is actually a misconseption by most people that a glowing header is lean. Take 1200+ degrees and a thinwall pipe and look at it in the black of night and that thing will look cherry red. You should not jet your motor based upon what shade of red your pipe glows at night. Jet it so it runs perfect and if the header glows ---- so be it, it will anyways. :cool:

·
Administrator
19,169 Posts
bluenova said:
YFZ450_RDR said:
It is a misconception by most people that when the header is cherry red it is normal, with some fine tuning of the jetting it will disappear, it just means your running lean. quote]

It is actually a misconseption by most people that a glowing header is lean. Take 1200+ degrees and a thinwall pipe and look at it in the black of night and that thing will look cherry red. You should not jet your motor based upon what shade of red your pipe glows at night. Jet it so it runs perfect and if the header glows ---- so be it, it will anyways. :cool:

Exactly. :tup:

It will glow rich, or lean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
bluenova said:
YFZ450_RDR said:

Well I have been jetting my own bikes for about 20 years, As I stated above I have an 03 WR450F and an 05 YFZ450 and in neither case does the header glow cherry red, I would never suggest jetting a bike by header glow or spark plug condition or any one thing. If you run your bike that lean just be prepared to rebuilt it a lot sooner. enough said by me, just my 2 cents

1 - 16 of 16 Posts