Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna get a GPS for christmas and i was wondering what kinds you guys have. Ive looked at Cabelas and Gander Mountain at a few and found some nice ones, but what do you guys got and how do you like them?

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
I have a Garmin Legend. I use it for search and rescue, hunting, and hiking. I love it, but it could use a larger display. The new color display Garmins are nice too.

Everyone on my search and rescue team uses Garmin. That says alot.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one Cabelas GPS ??
I looked at that one or This one
They are the same price but i like the Radio feature because i think that Nitrousguy has that model too.

I definitly want to get a Garmin, they seem the nicest and most popular.

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
warrior-man said:
This one Cabelas GPS ??
I looked at that one or This one
They are the same price but i like the Radio feature because i think that Nitrousguy has that model too.

I definitly want to get a Garmin, they seem the nicest and most popular.
NG may dissagree with me, but I personally think the rino is overrated. GMRS radios work with line of sight radio waves. If you are somewhere where you need a GPS, you probably dont have very good line of sight to the other person carrying a rino. You may get 2 miles of decent transmission tops-and that is if you climb to the top of a mountain before transmitting.

If it is really important to be able to transmit your location, get a ham radio liscense and hook up APRS.

Before you ask, do a google search.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the legend and rino basically the same thing, minus the radio? Im searching google and amazon right now and i did notice that they said the radios dont get too good of reception, but i like how the screen looks and stuff too.

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
warrior-man said:
Are the legend and rino basically the same thing? Im searching google and amazon right now and i did notice that they said the radios dont get too good of reception, but i like how the screen looks and stuff too.
For the most part, the legend and the 110 have about the same functions, with the exception of radio. But the 130 has an electroninc compas (which is a nice option) and an altimeter and barometer. But the next step up from the ledgend has that also for alot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what i thought, they looked about the same. What do you mean by electronic compass? And i can spend about 200 dollars, so i dont know if i could get the next step up for either the legend or RINO 110.

*edit* I just did a compare on Cabelas.com and noticed that the Legend has 8MB of memory and the RINO only has 1. Do you use that 8 and what do you use it for?

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
warrior-man said:
Thats what i thought, they looked about the same. What do you mean by electronic compass? And i can spend about 200 dollars, so i dont know if i could get the next step up for either the legend or RINO 110.

I think the next step up is the summit. Still well under $200 I think. An electroninc compas works while standing still. Most GPS units dont have one so you have to be moving to get a N S E or west.
DO NOT BUY A GPS from CABELAS. Go to walmart. They have the same units, and cost a hell of alot less and dont charge shipping.

*edit* I just did a compare on Cabelas.com and noticed that the Legend has 8MB of memory and the RINO only has 1. Do you use that 8 and what do you use it for?
Yes, I use the extra memory for mapsource.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wont buy one from Cabelas, i know they are so overpriced, im just using there website because it is quite simple to use, but i did not know that Wal-Mart has GPS's too. I guess i didnt see the Summit model of the legen. It is about 200 bucks so it should be good. That electronic compass would be nice too.

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
I must now stop posting in this thread. People will start to get the wrong impression that I can at times be helpful.

Good by and good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HAHA, thanks CAMO, you have been helpful and i appreciate it. If you would like i can start spelling everything wrong so you can make me feel lower than a blaster owner.

·
Registered
947 Posts
CAMOGRIZZ said:
I must now stop posting in this thread. People will start to get the wrong impression that I can at times be helpful.

Good by and good luck.
I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this... Actually caught me by surprise...

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
K, shut this one down Screamin. CAMO should have been a salesman, he sold the Summit one to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts