Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode a new to me raptor all this last weekend. I'm used to utility quads (Foreman and King Quad) so the sport quad took some getting used to. We do rough mountain trail riding and in the real rough stuff, the utilities do much better. On the open logging roads, the raptor is lots of fun. I noticed two things that I was wanting to ask about. First, the clutch seemed to fade and not totally release after an hour of hard riding. Really tough to get into neutral. Not slipping, just dragging. Second, a couple of times, the starter would just click and not turn over. Put it in gear and rolled it to turn over the motor, then the starter worked OK. Anyone know about these quirks? I know there are better clutches and something I think was refered to as a one way starter. Not sure if that is supposed to fix the symptom I had. Neither of these are really that big of a problem. I can live with them but I was interested in opinions.

All in all, I like it pretty good. Geared too high in my opinion. Lots of times I never got out of 1st in the tight trails. Will go to a 12 tooth in the front and maybe a bigger rear. Anyone gone larger in the rear? Maybe a 42?

Robert

·
Registered
678 Posts
Good choice in bike. You'll love it
First issue of getting in neutral is common until you get used to the linkage setup. Getting a Pro Design shifter will connect directly and eliminate that problem. Second issue of the one way going out, it is THE most common problem of newer raptors. Lots of members on this site can hook you up with good deals on parts to correct both of these.
Your raptor will turn into a wheelie monster that will claw for the sky if you change the gearing too much. :scared:
You might be better for super tight trails on a utility quad.
Steep, muddy, long, hills with rocks and roots are already difficult enough to keep the front wheels down when climbing. I would get used to it for a while before you change the gearing. :tup:
Congrats again on the purchase.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have never had my clutch slip but you dont need it after you are moving. Back off of the throttle and shift without it. The clicking make sure it is not coming from under your seat. I know my dads raptor had a issue with the harness not making good contact with the connection. It connects to some blade connectors that I had to make sure the harness end of the connectors grabbed the blades by making htem tighter mainly on the blue wire. Also with the first gear issue if you do nto stop in first it will be harder to get into nutral.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Make sure your battery leads are tight. Sounds like you might have a loose one.

·
Registered
586 Posts
There is a relay that sometimes goes bad....But I agree, check your battery connections. As for the clutch, it could just need to be adjusted on the perch. adjust your lever until on the handlebars first before ripping anything apart. Nuetral sucks with the stock shifter. Spend 30-70 bucks on a new shifter without linkage, and you will wonder why you ever left it stock. It goes into every gear like butter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts