Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am going to be selling the quads and purchasing a dirt bike. I want to try something new and I liked my uncles bike a lot when I rode it. I just thought that it was more fun. Anyways, I am looking into buying a Honda XR250 or a Yamaha WR250. I am thinking about the WR250 though, because it is a better bike, liquid cooled, etc.

Anyways, the seat height is 38.5 inches and I am about 5'8" or 5' 9", do you think I will be able to touch on it? I rode my uncles XR250 and I could touch so I imagine I could touch the ground on a WR250.

Give me opinions on the two bikes and let me know which one you think is better and why.

Thanks. :tup:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
You will probally be able to touch, but you may have to keep one foot on the peg and sort of lean the bike over.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You will be able to touch with no problem. Im shorter then you and can touch the ground with a similar bike. Im sure both bikes are good but I would go with the Wr cuz of the options it comes with other then the Honda. They're amazing trail riding bikes. :tup:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The XR 250 and WR 250 arnt even in the same category. The WR will blow it away in every aspect and has a modern motor. A fair comparison would be the CRF 250 and WR 250, but an XR 250 is more compareable to a TT-R.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
2003BlAcKnReDbLaStEr said:
The XR 250 and WR 250 arnt even in the same category. The WR will blow it away in every aspect and has a modern motor. A fair comparison would be the CRF 250 and WR 250, but an XR 250 is more compareable to a TT-R.
An XR 250 and Wr 250 are both trail bikes. Neither one is used for motocross. You can select the WR, CRF and XR all in the same category. The WR is just more modern so it will perform better. You basically had the whole idea except the when you said those 2 bikes are not in the same category.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well actually, the WR250 is pretty much the same thing as the YZ250F except it is a little heavier, has a head light, and different suspension I think.

Like I said, I am probably just going to get a WR250.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Cvillecoldblood said:
2003BlAcKnReDbLaStEr said:
An XR 250 and Wr 250 are both trail bikes. Neither one is used for motocross. You can select the WR, CRF and XR all in the same category. The WR is just more modern so it will perform better. You basically had the whole idea except the when you said those 2 bikes are not in the same category.
No, you're wrong. The WR 250 is basically a YZ250f with electric start, different suspension, and a headlight. They share the same engine basically. I belive it also has different gear ratios. And there is a CRF 250x for trails, which is compareably to the WR 250. They're both MX bikes that are made a little more trail friendly, but years ahead of the XR and TTR.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I would go with the WR. Its a proven bike. XR's are great, but getting a little out dated.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, I dunno. I probably will. Im just kind of getting bored with a quad and want to try something different. Ever since I rode my uncles bike, it always seemed like I had more fun on in than I do on my quads.

·
Registered
201 Posts
yes go with a wr my dad has a wr250f and im 5 foot 6 and i can stand in it just fine but i have to lean it to one side great bike i love to ride it

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, Ive narrowed it down to a WR250F or a YZ250F

Im not sure which one I want. I will be doing some jumping and going to MX tracks with it as well. I will also be riding woods and trails. I was thinking the YZ250F because I will be at MX tracks a lot.

Let me know your opinions.

Also, what would the maintance be like on the wr and the yz?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
YamahaRider350 said:
Ok, Ive narrowed it down to a WR250F or a YZ250F

Im not sure which one I want. I will be doing some jumping and going to MX tracks with it as well. I will also be riding woods and trails. I was thinking the YZ250F because I will be at MX tracks a lot.

Let me know your opinions.

Also, what would the maintance be like on the wr and the yz?
the same

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They arent the same bike.

On the WR, the suspension is different, heavier, light, different gear ratios, etc.

Im probably going to get the YZ250F just because Ill be at the MX track most of the time.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
YamahaRider350 said:
They arent the same bike.

On the WR, the suspension is different, heavier, light, different gear ratios, etc.

Im probably going to get the YZ250F just because Ill be at the MX track most of the time.
You better hold on :razz: :lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
id go with the xr... but thats just my opinion i like the reputation and i have the very first year xr 600 and it has never been rebuilt just honed once and shes mean!!! im sure the wr is nice and all but i happen to luv the XRs

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Crazed said:
factory effex said:
Hang on for what :wtf:
The 250F is pretty torquy and you'll be on your ass if you don't hang on lol
They ain't that bad....you can race a 125 with them so their pretty much a 4 stroke 125 but barely faster :tup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts