Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of rebuilding my Warrior. Haven't decided if I want to keep the '87 or clean, and repaint, the '94 frame. I have gone through the case and put the lower end back together. I'm currently soaking the head and cylinder and started to measure camshafts. I picked up a Niche performance cam. Found some interesting info. Maybe its known to some, but I never found it.

'87 cam
Base 1.2625"
Ex. Lobe 1.5810"
In. Lobe 1.5890"

'94 cam
Base 1.2660"
Ex. Lobe 1.6025"
In. Lobe 1.6025"

Niche cam 519-cca2221m
Base 1.2580"
Ex. Lobe 1.6145"
In. Lobe 1.6145"

Both of the factory Yamaha ones are stamped 1UY. Neither engine was bored or appears to have any machine work done to them.

Found it very interesting the '87 had more lift on the intake, and the '94 had more lift(symetrical) on both. I never found that different years had different cams. Does the Raptor 350 have another cam profile?

The Niche is just me trying out cheap power. Its a slightly higher lift, longer duration cam. I want more upper end power. But wanted to post these numbers, too.

I do not have the means of measuring duration exactly. The lobes look identical on the 87 and 94 cams.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may have the 87 and 94 cam mixed up. The head with the symetrical cam had the tabs on the rockers for the decompression lever.

Did they end the pull start option early on?

Maybe I was bass akwards on this. Maybe the earlier one was higher lift and they adjusted it towards the intake later on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts