Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have tripple rate works and i was just curious if rezzies would make that big of a Dif? I ride dunes mostly.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Rezzies cool the oil so your shocks do not overheat, and that will make them perform better in racing / dunes or just jumping alot.

·
Registered
306 Posts
In order to understand the benefits of rezzies, you need to know about viscosity, heat, and how shocks work.

The springs are only half of your shocks. When you compress a spring, it pushes back with a force. If you compress more, it pushes back more. The resistance depend on how FAR you compress the spring.

Inside you shocks is oil, and that oil flows through a stack of shims. Basically, its like flowing through a hole. Now imagine walking through water waist deep. It's easy enough to walk, but almost impossible to run, regardless of how far you walk or run. Resistance doesn't depend on distance, it depend on SPEED. The faster you try to go, the more resistance you get. This is the damping inside your shocks.

Ok, fine. How does that relate to my shocks and rezzies?

As the oil heats up, it gets thinner. This is called viscosity. When the oil gets hot, it becomes easier to push through that shim stack, which means you get less resistance and damping. So as you use your shocks, they heat up, and the performance fades with tempurature. Once they cool down, performance returns to normal.

Imagine a race. You start the race, your shocks are cool, they perform great. After a few laps your shocks start to warm up, performance starts to drop. Towards the end of the race (30 mins?) your shocks are really hot, so the performance just goes to crap.

External rezzies help keep that oil cool, so you don't get the performance fade. They won't make your shocks perform better, but they WILL keep the performance up for longer. If you don't punish your suspension for extended periods of time, then rezzies aren't a big need. But if you are constantly pushing your suspension to it's limits, then rezzies are a must. If your shocks get too hot, they will perform worse than stock.

·
Registered
897 Posts
That was BEAUTIFUL wilkin250r! :tup:
Rezzies are nice, I like them for the XC I do, but they also have compression adjustments. For the dunes, I have a couple of buddies that bleed sand, I swear I don't get it. They just use triple rate works like the ones you have and they are wicked fast. They jump higher and farther than the damn dirtbikes, so imbarassing. :lol: Anywho, they love them and for what they do I don't think the shocks use enough travel, fast enough, consistantly enough, to worry about rezzies. :shrug: Of course, the rears do. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts