Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Death is the one thing we humans all have in common and yet we cannot share the experience.

To get us through, we that are left behind fall back on faith, or philosophy, or even clichés; “he died doing what he loved, he’d want the rest of us to race on.” The latter may seem callous to those who seek to play life safe, avoid risk at all cost, those who wrap themselves in imaginary security seeking to dodge the reaper.

But I don’t think its callous, I think racers are just realists. They understand that death has its own schedule. The danger inherent in our sport forces racing people to confront our fears for ourselves, and those we love, and I’d like to think we also understand that those who truly rest in peace are those who lived their lives to the fullest.

- Dave Despain

Perhaps these sentiments explain in words why it is that those of us that race can climb right back on after an injury, or even, God forbid, a death within our racing circle. It's not that we don't care about the possibility, it's that we accept it. I've always said that I don't want to be lying on my deathbed saying "I wish I had..." I want to go knowing I've lived life as fully as possible.

·
Registered
214 Posts
For a second I thought you were talking about the lead singer for Megadeath and I could not figure out why he was talking about death and racing??

I love speed channel, but have not paid much attention to Dave since he ditched his role of supporting the Motorcycles on SPEED Channel, I mean Nascar channel. I remember them saying that the move to Nascar wouldn't pre-empt all their other programing. Ohwell I guess that money talks and bullshit gets pushed into Tuesday.

Good speed to the Hendricks friends and family.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the Megadeath guy Dave Mustain? Honest question...I haven't been into metal for years now.

Of topic, but...I think the Dave DESpain :)) is still a supporter of bikes (witness how often he has bikers of various sorts on Wind Tunnel). I just think it was a 'here's how you keep your job' kind of issue. Since Speed went NASCAR 23/6.5, I doubt he had much choice. Tuesday night used to be 'Two Wheel Tuesday'...now it's two hours total. Bookended by NASCAR. What a croc. I like NASCAR as much as the next guy, but damn, I can only stand so much...NASCAR Today, NASCAR Tonight, NASCARThis Morning, NASCAR Yesterday, Inside NASCAR, Outside NASCAR, Under NASCAR, NASCAR Pre-Race, NASCAR Post-race, NASCARPost-post Race. Gimme a break already.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I believe what he says to be true... but I hate this guy... maybe just the fact that his voice makes me want to hurl! B O R I N G

·
Registered
83 Posts
I love nascar, but I agree it all NASCAR for the most part on that show. They do try there best to get other forms of racing in. But when you take callers live like that those are the people that are making it more nascar..Other foprms of racig fans need to call in too..

my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
dave is a good guy, he has a lot of knowledge when it comes to racing, you gotta respect that.

i only like watching his show bc he talks about superbikes and dirt track racing, i LOVE dirt track racing.... :tup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts