Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on cutting my front plastics. I noticed many people on this board have cut their front fenders. For those of you who have done this, please give me some tips and pics of your bikes so that I can get a better idea of how to do this. Thanks.

·
Registered
560 Posts
First, don't use a knife or hand saw or tin snips. The only thing that works well is an electric saber saw (jig saw) with a metal cutting blade installed.

1) Once you decide where you want to cut the fender, put down a layer of duct tape right down the middle of the cutting path (on the top and bottom of the plastic). This will help guide you, but mostly it will keep the jig saw from scratching the plastic as you move it along the cutting path.

2) The sawing goes pretty easily as long as you hold the outside edge of the fender with your free hand to keep it from wobbling. You will need to stop several times to clean the blade's fine teeth (a wire brush works well). Don't use a larger tooth blade (like a wood cutting blade). This can chop chunks off the edge of the cut.

3) Once the cut is done, remove the duct tape. If any of the tape is stuck to the plastic, use some "goo gone" or similar to remove it. Silicone spray works too.

4) Now it's time to smooth the edge. Start with a metalworking file and run it along the upper and lower edges of the cut at a 45 degree angle to the cut. Be careful not to touch the top of the plastic with the file.

5) Next, run a sanding block with medium grit sand paper along the cut at a 90 degree angle to the top. Again, be careful not to scratch the top of the plastic.

6) Feel for sharp edges to be sure they are filed and sanded.

Copied from a site I found. Not my actually typing. Hope it helps

·
Registered
537 Posts
Heres mine and i love them i think they look pretty good! :hey:

·
Registered
427 Posts
hey man welcome to bluetraxx....sorry i cant post any up to date pics of my quad but here is a link of it with the cut fenders http://www.bluetraxx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=61681&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

its not that hard to do..alittle intemediating at first but once you cut them the shape you want its ALOT better then the sock bulky utility looking fenders....then just sand em down with an electiric sander :nod: ....i used a dry erase marker to mark it out the way i wonted and then just used a jig saw....iv heard of people leaving them on and cuting them but i took them off and got my bro to hold em while i cut....on the yfz project they used a utility knife and a razor blade its not something you SHOULDNT do but it would just take awhile...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts