Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their dealership replace the tranny of a 01 raptor, if so what did they charge? I have had my 01 since October of 2000, the tranny blew today 11-14-04.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I must have one of the last stock 01 tranys. The parts alone are about $600. I know some day it will happen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wide open in second gear, went to shift into third and heard a bang, the chain broke and it is now completly locked up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If any of your guys need some 01 trans parts Let me Know. I have an 01 take out that was in perfect shape. Just letting ya know if you didn't want to spend a bunch of cash.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked with the dealer today and they told me that they just did 2 other raptors and one cost $1200 and the other was $1500. They told me they would have to get inside and see what all was damaged before they could give me a price. They also said they have yet to see one completly locked up like mine is so I'm sure they will hit me for about $2000. I think I am done with Yamaha.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
If you can pull the motor out of the frame, there are reputable shops that can fix your motor for much less than a dealership. Shipping is only a couple hundred round trip and you'll have the benefit of a Raptor expert working on your motor. Just a suggestion, I'm not a big fan of dealerships (stealerships).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
My tranny also went out last year it was about 1 grand. I have the rebuilt kit though if you are interested Let me ask my tech tomorrow and see if he used any of the parts from it.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I highly recommend Bob Craycraft of Craycraft Racing (817 441-5893) for *anything* related to a Raptor motor. He's built 2 motors for me and dozens more for folks on this forum, not a single customer has been unhappy with his work. If you also want to bump up the HP while you are having the tranny fixed, Bob is your man.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
mine went out last year at the dunes so i bought one off ebay for $125 adn p0ut it in then my motor blew up so i have one that is in good shape if you watn it. i will well it for $85+ shipping if it doesnt sell on ebay tommorow.

·
Registered
300 Posts
thestateman said:
Has anyone had their dealership replace the tranny of a 01 raptor, if so what did they charge? I have had my 01 since October of 2000, the tranny blew today 11-14-04.
Check out www.mrcycles.com for oem parts. I get my parts for my R1 there and it turns out their Yami ATV parts are super cheap as well. It looks like the tranny rebuild kit will cost about $500.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like your dealer is giving you a load of crap - locking up is typical tranny failure stuff - I'm SURE they've seen it before........the trannies go out one of two ways....you will feel the tranny slipping, and won't stay in gear.......your tranny is about to go out and lock up.....or......BLAM!!....it will just lock up. What happened is your 3rd gear wheel has 3 dogs on it, that help to lock the gears when you shift.......these dogs are weak, and they break off - of course when that happens, you have a big chunk of metal getting ground up and wreaking havoc inside your transmission until it jams into something and won't move anymore.

You can expect to replace all your tranny parts - while you are doing this, you might as well upgrade to 2002 parts.......they were made differently and we have had zero issues with the 2002 transmission that we finally installed (after 3 2001 tranny failures).

Get a Raptor guy to fix it - someone who knows raptors well - I wouldn't trust a regular dealer tech to do this job. Too many things can be missed or not replaced when they should be if done by a regular machanic. Parts themselves are about half the price the dealership quoted you - not even half......they are making the money off the labor. A good raptor tranny guy can save you money in labor because he can get the job done much quicker and much better.

Good luck with that - it sucks.......but if you get it fixed right it shouldn't go out again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts