Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back someone posted about honing out the cylinder when putting in new rings. It was confusing and I could not tell what the final outcome was.

One person said you should just hone it enough to get rid of the glaze and someone else said not to touch it. Just wondering what to do. In the past I have always done it till I can see a cross hatch. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I can understand why there was confusion, there were a lot of opinions going around.

If your cylinder is in good shape, meaning no outstanding scratches, gouges, etc, then you do not need to , and should not, hone the cylinder.

In the case in the last thread on this, the owner said that he had some significant scratches in the cylinder wall possibly from sand, so I recommended honing.

·
Registered
446 Posts
can some1 educate me here, bein serious. I read that thread also and is there something different about the yfz cylinder that makes it not the best option to hone. Like on 2 strokes you can just hone them when ever you rebuilt the top end, or am i wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
The YFZ has a nikasil plating that is not borable, most sleeves are a non coated steel that can be bored and honed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thumper 660R said:
A while back someone posted about honing out the cylinder when putting in new rings. It was confusing and I could not tell what the final outcome was.

One person said you should just hone it enough to get rid of the glaze and someone else said not to touch it. Just wondering what to do. In the past I have always done it till I can see a cross hatch. Anyone have experience with this?
please call a nuetral shop that does cylinders all the time and post their answer. call LA Sleeve.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called a local shop and they said that they will hone a YFZ or YZ cylinder just to get the glaze off so the rings set. I have been disappointed with this shop before so I dont know if I believe them or not. They messed up my banshee a couple of years back. Anyone else make a call???

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also just looked through the factory service manual. It does not say anything about honing the cylinder when replacing the rings. I trust the manual.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yes, a lot of the new cylinders are plated with the nikasil stuff. I know that the YFZ (like said above) and the z400 both have the plating which makes them non-honable.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thumper 660R said:
I also just looked through the factory service manual. It does not say anything about honing the cylinder when replacing the rings. I trust the manual.
Thats exactly what I did when I installed a new piston and rings and mine runs absolutely fine with no performance loss or oil consumption.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thumper 660R said:
I called a local shop and they said that they will hone a YFZ or YZ cylinder just to get the glaze off so the rings set. I have been disappointed with this shop before so I dont know if I believe them or not. They messed up my banshee a couple of years back. Anyone else make a call???
There are differences in 2 strokes and 4 strokes and the way that the lubrication is provided on the cylinder during operation.

I would not confuse nor compare the YFZ cylinder with a 2 stroke cylinder.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i honed mine just enough to break the glaze when i replaced my piston and rings. it runs great and is just as fast as the others i race with... and without blow-by

1 - 11 of 11 Posts