Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have recently received a yamaha warrior 350 from my uncle. His friend passed away and he got it from him. I have replaced crank and rebuilt motor but the wiring harness is gone I have it running with a Suzuki cdi box but rather have the stock cdi box due to the fact that I think it's causing timing issues. My cdi box has 12 wires and I believe is off a 90-95 also my stator has 7 wires plz any help is much appreciated particularly a cdi box wiring diagram with wire description would be awesome thanks.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
there is a manual in the sticky with a diagram. you have to make sure the cdi and flywheel are the same generation or it will not run. not sure what your question is but i will be glad to help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plz I want to start it but I can't get the cdi to fire coil is there a way to bypass all switch like parking brake,neutral switch at cdi box because I don't have relays and other electrical stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is a manual in the sticky with a diagram. you have to make sure the cdi and flywheel are the same generation or it will not run. not sure what your question is but i will be glad to help
I will take a look also my stator and cdi match they are both from same ATV thanks bro any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
plz help me find the correct manual with wiring diagram for my stator and cdi. i will keep looking and download manual 1,2,3 but it says YFM350XP WIRING DIAGRAM in the supplement manual and my cdi wires dont match that color code. and thanks bro for help.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
you will have to know what year the stator and cdi are to find a diagram, they are all similar and I am not sure I could tell them apart just by looking. the only way to tell is to look at the plugs and it appears someone cut yours off. your best bet is to spend the 25 bucks on a Clymer manual it has all of the diagrams that you could need and describes the operation of the safety switches. you can by pass some of the safety things but that will not get it to fire. warriors cut out the start circuit not the ignition to prevent accidental starting. the parking brake and back up switches activate a rev limiter but it will still spark whether those switches are open or closed. if the machine you got the cdi and stator from are a different year that the motor you are trying to get to run you will need the flywheel as well. this project is pretty advanced and will require a complete understanding of the systems of the machine and will be difficult at best and in the end you will have a cobbled up mess that leaves you frustrated and or stranded. my advice determine the year of your stator and cdi, get on ebay and get a used harness with all the plugs and wire it as the manual says. as long as all the components of the electrical system ( cdi, stator, pickup, harness and flywheel) are the same generation they will work on any year motor. you should be able to do it for less than 150 bucks with some time spent searching ebay, even with the manual and you will have a good dependable machine and not just a pile of irritating junk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again I have been looking on eBay for a wiring harness not sure about year but im sure that the stator,cdi,pickup, regulator/rectifier and flywheel are from this ATV I removed the cdi from under the seat at the rear next to regulator/rectifier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you will have to know what year the stator and cdi are to find a diagram, they are all similar and I am not sure I could tell them apart just by looking. the only way to tell is to look at the plugs and it appears someone cut yours off. your best bet is to spend the 25 bucks on a Clymer manual it has all of the diagrams that you could need and describes the operation of the safety switches. you can by pass some of the safety things but that will not get it to fire. warriors cut out the start circuit not the ignition to prevent accidental starting. the parking brake and back up switches activate a rev limiter but it will still spark whether those switches are open or closed. if the machine you got the cdi and stator from are a different year that the motor you are trying to get to run you will need the flywheel as well. this project is pretty advanced and will require a complete understanding of the systems of the machine and will be difficult at best and in the end you will have a cobbled up mess that leaves you frustrated and or stranded. my advice determine the year of your stator and cdi, get on ebay and get a used harness with all the plugs and wire it as the manual says. as long as all the components of the electrical system ( cdi, stator, pickup, harness and flywheel) are the same generation they will work on any year motor. you should be able to do it for less than 150 bucks with some time spent searching ebay, even with the manual and you will have a good dependable machine and not just a pile of irritating junk.
the stator timeline page not found ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the 10th digit represents the year. The vin on a warrior is on the frame under the gearshifter.
90 l :nod:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
that will give you the frame year but that is not always the motor year especially in a machine that has been apart. they used the same motor from 87-2006 so motor swaps a very common and more that half of the no fire issues I have seen on here have been due to miss matched electrical generations. I am not sure what the stator time line page is? the ebay sellers normally have good pictures and in the restorations I have done have helped me identify some obscure parts. they will normally post a pick of a cdi for example and give a span of years. you can compare that to your cdi to get you to the correct diagram. just stay away from the private sellers, they are a crap shoot. do you still have the plugs from your stator and cdi, they are the tell tail. if the plugs match the generation matches for the most part the only exception I know of is a 96-2001 stator is the same but they don't share a cdi. there may be more exceptions but I have been pretty lucky with the plug method

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that will give you the frame year but that is not always the motor year especially in a machine that has been apart. they used the same motor from 87-2006 so motor swaps a very common and more that half of the no fire issues I have seen on here have been due to miss matched electrical generations. I am not sure what the stator time line page is? the ebay sellers normally have good pictures and in the restorations I have done have helped me identify some obscure parts. they will normally post a pick of a cdi for example and give a span of years. you can compare that to your cdi to get you to the correct diagram. just stay away from the private sellers, they are a crap shoot. do you still have the plugs from your stator and cdi, they are the tell tail. if the plugs match the generation matches for the most part the only exception I know of is a 96-2001 stator is the same but they don't share a cdi. there may be more exceptions but I have been pretty lucky with the plug method
the harness along with the plugs for cdi and stator are missing it was like that when i received it. the plug for the regulator is just hanging there plugged in to the regulator were they cut the harness would that help any ?also i have found a harness for a 95 on ebay but i dont know the year of my stator or the year of my cdi. i found a comparison picture and it shows different stators for the warrior i will post it. i will ask a stator seller or a cdi seller on ebay for a example of years like you said too thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yamaha warrior 350 stator comparison

this is what i found on yfm350.com
bones
04-08-2012, 09:13 PM
the 87 stator has
1)4 wire plug with blue, green,yellow, and gray
1)3 wire plug all white

a red wire and a white and green wire

the 88-89 is the same but the 4 wire plug was change and only has 3 wires going to it yellow, green and blue

A is 87
B is 88-89
C is 90-95
D is 96-01 not about 02-04
warrior 350.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a working Suzuki cdi and a yamaha yz490 cdi because I used the wiring diagram to those cdi and they both fire the coil. I think my warrior cdi is not working I will try getting a 90-95 Yamaha warrior 350 cdi because that looks like what I have. Also I will update this post after I get new warrior cdi. Thanks again

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sounds good
Hi back again sorry for taking so long to update this thread 😀 I recently received a new CDI and stator for 90-95 and installed both parts and still no fire. plugged the four wire stator plug into the CDI box and the left the three white wires disconnected from stator to voltage regulator/rectifier. also there is two plugs coming from CDI I'm sure these wires are the cause of the no fire issue i need to connect those but I'm not sure where lol

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
why didnt you hook up the white wires? the other plugs go to the harness, just plug them into the matching plugs on the machine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
why didnt you hook up the white wires? the other plugs go to the harness, just plug them into the matching plugs on the machine
Because the plug on the stator with three white wires is different then the plug on the regulator it has three whites, one black, one red and one brown wire. I think I need the harness because some of the plugs are on there for the white stator wires and regulator wires. Does the white wires from the stator go into a plug on the harness that has three white wires then out a bigger plug to the regulator that has six wires mentioned above? Also I was looking at the wiring diagram it looks like with the main switch switched on the brown wire should have 12v since its connected to red 12v In the main switch so that means the cdi and regulator needs 12v with key on right? Or if the regulator was wired correctly it would start off the stator alone since power is going through white wires and into the regulator and sends the charge back to the battery with the red 12v wire if the red wire had power the brown wire would also does this sound right. Thanks again 😀

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
once again i think you are wasting time and money trying to hack multi generations together. in order to make this thing run you need a flywheel, stator, rectifier, cdi and harness from the same generation of electronics. if the plugs dont match you do not have to correct stuff. theoretically if the stator, pickups, flywheel and cdi were from same vintage you could make a harness you would need to study both generations wiring diagram and make the splices. that seems like a lot of work when you can get every ting you need to do it correctly and dependably for around a 100 buck used off of ebay or find a donor bike. your description at the end of your post sounds correct to me but i did not spend the time to trace all of the wires myself

1 - 20 of 25 Posts