Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why any car i have ever worked on the transmission pans do not have drain plugs. It is such a f-in mess dropping the entire pan, it stumps me why they would not just have a drain plug to get rid of 99% of the tranny oil. Anyone with a technical explanation help me out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
most Japanese cars you'll run across do have drain plugs in them. If you change the fluid more often and leave the filter (still changing it occasionally) it makes things last WAY longer. the Japs (no offense) have been doing it like that for a long time, heck i'd say 75%of their automatic trans's don't even have pans at all, they just have a drain plug. in recent years (very recent) american trucks are slowly being equipped with them, and so are cars, finally. I agree 100% with you on the ease of maintenance, and less mess too.

·
Registered
430 Posts
i just changed the tranns fluid on my truck. it didnt have a drain plug..it kinda pissed me off... but if you get a big enuff container.. and get it down to 2 screws and unsrew them very slowly it is that bad.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Summit i think has plug kits for pretty much all makes of tranny. The auto industry has probably saved millions not putting plugs in. it sure sucks for us though.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
i paid 40 bucks for my chrome B&M 3gt extra tranny pan with drang plug, new filter, and drop bracket for the filter

just buy a new pan :hey:

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
when i do a tranny flush at school, i drill out a hole, tap it, then clean out the shavings, then i install a drain plug. the customers love it, and its easier next time they bring it in :tup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used to hate that, nothing worse than having the fluid run down your arm as you take the bolts out :roll:
I'm glad my truck has a drain plug AND a spin on transfilter :tup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Next Time you remove the pan, just drill a hole in it, and tack weld a nut on the inside of it and screw a bolt in there, voila! real sturdy drain plug.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I agree w/ the whole 'drain plug saving time' idea. But another reason they have you drop the pan is to get the metal shavings off of the magnent in the pan.. Eventually it collect all the shavings it could

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
-LE-YFZ450 said:
I agree w/ the whole 'drain plug saving time' idea. But another reason they have you drop the pan is to get the metal shavings off of the magnent in the pan.. Eventually it collect all the shavings it could
the only reson for a drain plug is to empty the fluid out then everyone takes the pan off changes the filter and gets the metel of the magnents "if your tranny pan has them"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts