Blue Traxx Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm buying a used raptor 350 for my wife. What are some of the known problems to look out for and is there any difference between the year models

thanks

R

·
Super Moderator
8,585 Posts
There are few real problems.

you can base your paying price on how well the quad has been maintained. Check for fresh grease around all the shock, a-arms and swingarm pivot points.

Stand the quad up on its grab bar and eyeball the straghtness of the frame, the frames are weak just in front of the engine. If they are wrecked hard, they will usually bend there first. You can also look and make sure the sub-famr, where the rear grab bar mounts isnot bent or crooked.

The engines on these machines are bulletproof, Check the oil make sure it looks clean. If the owner has been faithful with oil changes, the oil will be a dark brown, never black.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i have had seversl very big problems with my 2005 raptor 350
my raptor 350 has had mostly engine problems i have had it blow up 2 times i took out the connecting rod bearing once the tranny one and in the summer that just passed my stator and cdi burnt out i have alot of trouble keeping a base gasked in mine also just a month and a half ago my exaust valve let go and i still do not have it fixed. and somtimes it is verry dificult to start. those are the problems i have had with my raptor 350 and that is proof that these engine are not bullet proof i dont know why i have so many problems with my raptor but i have. i have always changed the oil every 2 weeks or s little longer and always took care of it so if youd like to ask me anything else just email me at [email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
How often do you ride it? If you're changing oil every 2 weeks but riding it 4 hours a day thats doing no good. What is your riding style and conditions?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sounds like you're riding that thing entirely too hard, or aren't taking care of it right. Possibly just got a lemon, but I never heard of any other cases like yours before. There are still plenty of late 80's warriors and big bears out there with the same engine, still running and all original parts. The previous owners of my warrior totally beat the crap out of the poor thing, did hardly any maintainance, and I know for sure they never had anything fail in the 4 years they owned it because they would have been too cheap and lazy to fix it. This thing has way over the average mileage it, and the only engine work I ever did to it wasn't because of a failure. The piston rings were worn, simply from the high hours on the engine, and the valve seals were worn. That's it. Nothing else in the engine. If you have stuff breaking like that, there's something else involved other than the design of the engine, because that has withstood the test of time very well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i dont know what was rong with my raptor 350 but after the proper wear and the oil changes on the first oil change there werent shaving there were actual chunks of aluminum and i ask and told the dealer that there was somthing rong becasue i know fine shavings are normal but not the size of chunks that were in the filter and stuck in the drain plug screne the conditions where i ride are moslty all of the above i try to keep it out all year unless its in the shop and i ride in alot of diferent conditions i have a couple sand pits around were i live and it is always very dusty in the summer and the total modification i have on it know is a k&n air filer a juice box cdi and a ricky stator 200 watt stator but i only had the k&n filter on when i took the conecting rod bearing out actually i didnt change the oil every 2 weeks i was goin by the couler of the oil and how many tanks of gas i have used or the amount of hours i put on it so i dont know why i have had so many problems. and also if the warrior's and big bear's lasted so long it could be somthing like the different exaust or the different cam that the raptor 350 comes with to give it more power

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dude I've never heard of a Warrior or a Raptor 350 have anyware close to the issues your having. My bud only had to replace his stator and he killed the hell out of that machine. His was a 2001 and sold it last year, he probably had over 400 hours of hard ass riding. Mine is a 2002 only rebuilt because I wanted more power, and I'm not good with maintinence, lets just say oil changes lag a little. I had mine buried in sand, sunk in muddy water, and ever time she would start right up.Sorry to hear the troubles your having though, sometimes people get factory lemons, thats all I'd chalk it up to be.

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
runnallsraptor350 said:
I dont know what was rong with my raptor 350 but after the proper wear and the oil changes on the first oil change there werent shaving there were actual chunks of aluminum and I ask and told the dealer that there was somthing rong becasue I know fine shavings are normal but not the size of chunks that were in the filter and stuck in the drain plug screne the conditions where I ride are moslty all of the above I try to keep it out all year unless its in the shop and I ride in a lot of diferent conditions I have a couple sand pits around were I live and it is always very dusty in the summer and the total modification I have on it know is a k&n air filer a juice box cdi and a ricky stator 200 watt stator but I only had the k&n filter on when I took the conecting rod bearing out actually I didnt change the oil every 2 weeks I was goin by the couler of the oil and how many tanks of gas I have used or the amount of hours I put on it so I dont know why I have had so many problems. and also if the warrior's and big bear's lasted so long it could be somthing like the different exaust or the different cam that the raptor 350 comes with to give it more power
We have spelling and grammar rules. You should look into that.

What did the dealer say about the chunks in the oil? Are you sure it was aluminum? Shavings arent uncommon on a new machine, hince break in. Tranny gears have to wear in etc.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sorry about the spelling and grammar i was in a hurry when i typed that message.
I took the chunks and the old oil filter to the dealer and they just told me it was normal but they just dont like to help that much but i asked another mechanic and he told me this was not normal and i do not no for sure if the chunks were aluminum but thats what most of the chunks looked like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guy. I own a raptor 350 with hotcams and airbox delete recently after a service when shifting into 2nd gear it goes into neutral.I have tried shifting up as hard as i can but still continues to shift into neutral as well as when pulling the reverse lever it gets stuck and has to take multiple times to shift back into neutral

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guy. I own a raptor 350 with hotcams and airbox delete recently after a service when shifting into 2nd gear it goes into neutral.I have tried shifting up as hard as i can but still continues to shift into neutral as well as when pulling the reverse lever it gets stuck and has to take multiple times to shift back into neutral
Please help guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts