Blue Traxx Forum banner

Brake question

843 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JayDawg 
#1 ·
As most of you know, I just bought my first ATV a few months back. It is a 2005 YFZ 450. I was curious though when the brakes start wearing down do they have one of those sensors in them that squeel like automobile brakes do or do you just have to check them? What is also the average life span of breaks and can someone recomend what are some good replacement brands.
Thanks,
Jason

#4 ·
You'll know the rear is wearing because the parking brake doesn't work anymore. It's a simple adjustment to get the parking brake working again, and it doesn't mean that your pads are worn out, just that you did wear them down some.
If you do a lot of mud riding, you'll wear pads out much faster than normal. A month back or so I practiced on a fairly muddy mx track, and before I started my parking brake held good; afterwards it wouldn't hold anything until I adjusted it.

The only way to actually know you need new pads is to look at them and see how much is left. Since this is your first quad, better to look at them now so you see what is the metal backer and what is the friction material, and what it looks like when new so you have a reference.

I've been riding/racing my 450 since last March and still have about 1/2 left all around, but I've almost completely avoided riding in mud.

#5 ·
Cool, thanks everyone for the advice. When the time comes that I do need to replace them, what do you all recomend for brands of brake pads? I only have approximately 10 hours on my YFZ right now so I'm assuming my brakes are still good. They work awsome I know that! But I'm assuming that within the year at some point they will have to be replaced. Thanks again everyone! :tup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.