Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 04 raptor, it has been completely trouble free after 1 year of hard riding. I have always had to add oil between oil changes, but it never fouled a plug, ran bad or smoked. Last night while riding out of the woods in the rain it began to blow blue smoke from the exhaust while riding easy ( smoked really bad for a few minutes ). You could see it easily from the headlights from the raptor riding behind me. I stopped and checked my oil level and no oil was on the dipstick. I had checked it before the ride and it was fine. I did notice something strange earlier in the ride, while setting and waiting on the other riders to take off after a short break I revved the motor slightly waiting to go and it stalled and made a slight clank type noise. That had never happened before. I dont think its a major engine problem - I dont know how the breather system works, but I am thinking I may have a problem with it. Any suggestions? I still have the stock air filter with I have heard is problem prone ( I have serviced it multiple times with no problems before). I have extended warranty, but would rather not take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It's gonna visit the dealer, you paid for the extended warranty, now it gets to pay for itself .. sounds like a ring problem, maybe more.. ::loads .45 and puts the old dog out of it's misery::..

Make sure there is oil in the crankcase when you take it back too .. complain about Oil consumption, noise, and smoke from the motor.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Bring it to the dealer man, you got the extended warranty now use it! :nod: :tup:

·
Registered
346 Posts
ive got a 04 raptor and have the same problems. the topend is getting rebuild as we speak. i pulled the topend down last weekend to find nothing but a collapsed oil ring, cylinder was like new with hardly no wear on it at all. so i went ahead and bought all new gaskets, rings and valve seals while i had it all apart. the most of the reason mine was smoking to bad is due the the shitty airbox design...i never could get my lid on, and after 5 minutes of fighting with the lid, the airfilter felt out of its slots and i knew nothing about it until i took it off again to clean it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I added oil this afternoon and it only took 1/2 quart to get to register on the dipstick. I then started the motor - sounds ok but smokes every time I hit the throttle. I inspected the air filter, its a little dirty but sealed well and in place. Could it be that the factory filter just does not filter well enough even when in place properly?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem but... Blue smoke is a bad sign that the rings are shot.. I know it is new .. Things happen.. Good thing it is under warrenty.. You should not bother and just take it to the dealer and say fix it..! You are definetly burning oil..

·
Registered
8 Posts
just a thought......you said it was raining, maybe air filter got wet, choked it down and blue smoke is from being to rich...?? like i said just a thought.

·
Registered
191 Posts
mine puffs blue when i start it.but clears up after about thirty seconds,has always done that since ive owned it. but doesnt smoke when its warm :nod:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Are you sure it's blue. It could be smoke from being rich. Once the motor warms up, it burns gas better, and that would make sense that it would go away. I had some smoke, and then I cleaned my K&N and it was gone.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Blue or White smoke = Oil
Black smoke = Fuel

·
Registered
269 Posts
Gray with a blue tint is oil.
White is water.
Gray to black is fuel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Warmed up the raptor today and smoke was still there on every hard accelleration. Looks like I should have bought a good aftermarket air filter. Its not like I didnt know it would help. I was just getting ready to buy a pipe,filter and jet kit after getting good info from this site. Im not unhappy with the raptor - it has been ridden very hard in very harsh conditions for many miles and has never let me down! I wish I had not bought the extended warranty and had that money back, then Mr Craycraft and me would be doing business! Im going to go ahead and let the dealer have a crack at it - new rings? new cylinder? Then Ill go ahead and pipe it up and install a pro-design air filter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Its sounds Like it is a ring problem you have oil leaking through and burning in the combustion process. I would check the rings. :))

1 - 13 of 13 Posts