Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Here's the deal. My buddy has a 2000 Blaster and is having some issues. It appears to start and run OK, but when it gets hot (after about ten minutes running) the throttle sticks. While idling you can hit the throttle and it continues to idle at that speed like something is sticking. What concerns me even more is when it starts idling high you can hit the kill switch and turn the key to off and it continues to run at high idle :scared: The only way to stop it is to put it in gear and stall it. The throttle cable seems to be working fine and the carb looks clean. Any suggestions?? We are trying to get this squared away so he can ride tomorrow. Thanks :nod:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well normally I would tell you to lube the throttle cable and adjust the slack. But being that you mentioned your friends bike continues to run even after shutting it off leads me to believe the bike has an air leak causing a severe lean condition.

You need to do a leak down test. Also, make sure that all of the head nuts, base nuts, and intake bolts are tightened to specs. Because if any of them are loose it will cause an air leak resulting in a lean condition.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
criminalpoet said:
Well normally I would tell you to lube the throttle cable and adjust the slack. But being that you mentioned your friends bike continues to run even after shutting it off leads me to believe the bike has an air leak causing a severe lean condition.

You need to do a leak down test. Also, make sure that all of the head nuts, base nuts, and intake bolts are tightened to specs. Because if any of them are loose it will cause an air leak resulting in a lean condition.
Why would it continue to run.. doesn't the kill switch ground the spark?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hot spots in the combustion chamber will cause the fuel mix to ignite. The hot spots are gennerally cuased by carbon build up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
iv heard of air leakes but still dosent explane y it would run after turning of the key cuz wouldent that cause the fire to stop dont know

well there was this one time i had this snow moblile it was a 440 twin and we road it really hard for like 3 hours and there was no electrical to it so we had to pull the plug wires to kill it so we did and it keept running fo maybe 30 seconds and died we asked my nearest snow moblie shop he said its called deseling the plug gets so hot it fires with no spark :wtf:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
blaster93 said:
iv heard of air leakes but still dosent explane y it would run after turning of the key cuz wouldent that cause the fire to stop dont know

well there was this one time i had this snow moblile it was a 440 twin and we road it really hard for like 3 hours and there was no electrical to it so we had to pull the plug wires to kill it so we did and it keept running fo maybe 30 seconds and died we asked my nearest snow moblie shop he said its called deseling the plug gets so hot it fires with no spark :wtf:
In that case you definitly need a colder plug :lmao: :lmao: :lol:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crazed said:
criminalpoet said:

You would think the kill switch would ground the spark, but it doesn't. Turning the key to the off position does not kill it either. The engine continues to scream at high RPM's until you stall it by putting it in gear and popping the clutch.

·
Registered
204 Posts
1FastRaptor said:
Crazed said:
criminalpoet said:

You would think the kill switch would ground the spark, but it doesn't. Turning the key to the off position does not kill it either. The engine continues to scream at high RPM's until you stall it by putting it in gear and popping the clutch.
It sounds like detonation. Thats Bad lol... Make sure your friend carefully inspects the head gasket and retorques the head nuts, inspects the base gasket for any signs of severe wear and tear or rips and torques down the base nuts, have him inspect the intake gaskets for the same signs as the base gaskets and retorque the intake bolts. Also inspect the carb boot that connects to carb real good and you may even have him lube his throttle cable and adjust the slack so that it has at least 3/16 of slack.

If all else fails theres always the option of buying a leak down tester. Either way id almost bet the farm that its an air leak. Oh, and is he still running the stock oil injection system? If he blocked it off he may not have added enough premix to his fuel which would cause a severe lean condition as well.

Did he have any port work or major motor mods done to his bike lately?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
criminalpoet said:
1FastRaptor said:
Crazed said:
criminalpoet said:

It sounds like detonation. Thats Bad lol... Make sure your friend carefully inspects the head gasket and retorques the head nuts, inspects the base gasket for any signs of severe wear and tear or rips and torques down the base nuts, have him inspect the intake gaskets for the same signs as the base gaskets and retorque the intake bolts. Also inspect the carb boot that connects to carb real good and you may even have him lube his throttle cable and adjust the slack so that it has at least 3/16 of slack.

If all else fails theres always the option of buying a leak down tester. Either way id almost bet the farm that its an air leak. Oh, and is he still running the stock oil injection system? If he blocked it off he may not have added enough premix to his fuel which would cause a severe lean condition as well.

Did he have any port work or major motor mods done to his bike lately?
No mods that I know of besides an aftermarket exhaust. He bought the bike about a year ago from some dude and as far as I know he is still using the stock oil injection system. Should he block off the oil injection system and use premix? Also, what is the best way to check for air leaks without buying a leak down tester?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well you can check visually by just inspecting for the obvious, but to be on the safe side you may just want to pull the top end and just replace the base gasket, head gasket, and intake gasket. It doesnt cost that much. While the top end is off would be a good time to inspect the rings and piston too.

It kinda sucks, but if its detonating like that its pretty much a must if you cant see visually what the problem is. And yes, I do very much recommend blocking off the oil injection because the pumps do fail occasionally.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
yea check the top end and check for any unusual things...

i kno u already mentioned this but r u sure its not the cable?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
p8nt said:
yea check the top end and check for any unusual things...

i kno u already mentioned this but r u sure its not the cable?
Can't be, it still runs after he 'shuts it off'.. the cable doesn't do that :scared:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
criminalpoet said:
Well you can check visually by just inspecting for the obvious, but to be on the safe side you may just want to pull the top end and just replace the base gasket, head gasket, and intake gasket. It doesnt cost that much. While the top end is off would be a good time to inspect the rings and piston too.

It kinda sucks, but if its detonating like that its pretty much a must if you cant see visually what the problem is. And yes, I do very much recommend blocking off the oil injection because the pumps do fail occasionally.
If the oil pump is failing could it cause this since it would cause a lean condition? I'm hoping for an easy fix. Thanks for all the replies so far.

·
Registered
83 Posts
could it also be an electricle problem because if the key is off and it still runs im thinking another part of it could be electricle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts