Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blaster that will shift into 1st and 2nd gear alright but when you go to shift any higher it will give you problems. I found the secret is after you shift into 2nd you have to press the shifter down just slightly as it does not return properly (and no the shifter is not hitting anything)

It seems like every gear past 2nd when you upshift you will have to push just slightly down afteryour upshift. I took the clutch side cover off just to make sure the shift return spring was in proper and everything looks good. Would this be a shift fork problem? or shift drum?? or....

I would like to know what I am looking at before I tear it down so I can get some parts ordered if possible.. thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Sounds definitly like the shaft return spring. My kx80 did the same thing, and boy was it annoying as hell. The spring "arm" was cracked off on mine.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Does it shift fine if you mess with it.

Like, on my KX80 first and second were easy to get to, and then 3rd I had to kind of push it back to position then shift up, and 4th, 5th, and 6th were all the same.

Like, I could take the shifter and just move it up and down about an inch 1/2 both ways.

If it WILL shift, I don't thing it's a fork.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
what kind of oil are you running? if you were running with gear saver of gear lube you might have done damage to your clutch.

-mokas-

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know what kind of oil was in it as it was new to me. It will shift into the other gears but like a had mentioned earler the shifter will hang up and not return to the center place unless you slightly press it down and then it will spring back.

I went to pull the shift shaft out to take a look and the odd thing was that it did not pull out?? It would pull out about 1 inch and then seem to bind? when it is in place it will rotate very freely. :wtf:

should that shift shaft just pull out very easy? (when you take the shift lever off of course.)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I'm not 100% sure what the insides of a Blaster look like, but on my KX80 the clutch basket had to come off first.

But if nothing is in the way, it should slide out like butter.

Also, you will probally have to take the return spring off the little catch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im also having the same issue with my blaster, 1st and 2nd feel fine, then 3rd is hard to get I can sometimes get it with out use of clutch handle also noticed it goes in when I hit a bump or go down hill, and the shift linkage right at the transmission also has up and down movement wear it seems to get hung up at, but I've tried playing with it, and am also getting no we're, also replace the clutch and still didn't fix the problem of shifting past second, so I'm sorta wondering if I'll have to split the case and check gears on left side behind the stator and flywheel, seen other guys do that and found chunks of metal and metal shavings in there,but I have not split my to find out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts