Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on my bike today and noticed that there was little black chunks of stuff on the sides of the overflow bottle. So I took the radiator cap off and the same chunks were on the cap, it almost looked like the rubber on the cap was coming off in tiny chunks. About 3 months ago I put a bottle of water wetter in, did this cause the problem? My raptor is about 1 1/2 years old. Any body ever had this problem, or heard of it?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I havn't had that problem. Just replace the cap or whatever and clean out the system and put new stuff in. :tup:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
If you do decide to replace the coolant, flush the system with distilled water. You can buy this water at any supermarket.

Ice

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that all I should do is flush it out? Are you sure there is nothing bad going on in the cooling system, because I have never seen this before, in any of my bikes.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
NorCalDuner said:
Is that all I should do is flush it out? Are you sure there is nothing bad going on in the cooling system, because I have never seen this before, in any of my bikes.
Not sure but I would call your local dealer and ask them what you should do.

·
8,530 Posts
Probably just little pieces of gasket material. There are parts of the gaskets that actually are a lil big and protrude slightly into coolant passages, well the gaskets are paper and they may slowly break down.. if you recently rebuilt this may be the reason you are seeing it...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havent rebuilt it or done any engine work. I was just wondering if this happened because I put water wetter in it. It was fine for 1 year before this.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I doubt it was because you put water in it...highly doubt it.

·
8,530 Posts
I still wouldn't worry too mcuh about it. The steel head gasket also has a coating on it that could seperate from the steel. There is overlap, where the gasket isn't squished, so cahnces are that is all that is happening. As long as they are only small black floating particles, its about all it could be...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts