Blue Traxx Forum banner

BEST PORT SHOP FOR THE SAND???

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Dextreme 
#1 ·
I HAVE A 93 BANSHEE THAT IS CURRENTLY 1.0 MM OVER I BOUGHT IT USED. THE PORTS LOOK UNTOUCHED. I NEED TO FIND OUT WHO IS RECOMMENDED FOR PORT WORK. I RIDE IN THE SAND. I LOVE RACING UP LARGE DUNES, BUT I ALSO ENJOY SLOW BOTTOM END TYPE RIDING. I AM GETTING MARRIED AND CAN'T SPEND TOO MUCH MONEY!!! I AM ALSO SHOPPING FOR PIPES. I HAVE OLD BILL'S PIPES THAT LEAK REALLY BAD AT THE CYLINDERS. I LOVE THE POWERBAND THE BIKE USED TO HAVE. I RUN STOCK CARBS WITH A DYNO JET KIT IN THEM. I LIVE ON THE WEST COAST.

#4 ·
You might want to wait untill after thanksgiving then. Unless you find a good shop that isnt really busy, which you probally wont. My jugs are getting back tomorrow after being out for about a month. I also had to wait a month in line. i called at the begining of september and I am just getting my ported cylinders now. Ill let you now how they are, i got them done at passion racing engines , check em out at www.passionracingengines.com

#7 ·
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. I HAD NO IDEA THAT ATV ENGINE BUILDING WAS SO POPULAR. I WORK IN THE AUTO REPAIR INDUSTRY IN CA AND EVERYONE SAYS THAT BUSINESS IS REALLY SLOW AND THEY ARE DESPARATE TO FIND WORK! MAYBE WE SHOULD GET EDUCATED IN ATV ENGINES AND CHANGE THE SIGN ON THE WALL! JUST KIDDING! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. MY PISTONS AT THIS TIME ARE 1.0 MM OVER. MY LOCAL MACHINE SHOP DOESN'T THINK THEY CAN BORE IT ANY FARTHER. HOW MUCH BIGGER CAN I GO WITHOUT PROBLEMS. MY CYLINDER WALLS ARE SLIGHTLY SCRATCHED BUT THE PISTONS AND REALLY SCARRED LOOKING. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE HELP.

#10 ·
Are you positive your piston are 1mm over and not 10 thousands over? If is it 1mm, there are no bores left and you will be looking at new sleeves, but if it is 10 thousands (often called 1 over bore) then you have lots of bores left.

#11 ·
MY PISTONS CLEARLY SAY 1.0MM ON THEM. I HAVE NEVER OWNED A BANSHEE BEFORE. MY PISTONS HAVE PORTS CUT INTO THE SKIRTS OF THEM. IS THIS NORMAL OR SOMETHING SPECIAL? I TOOK MY ENGINE APART LAST NIGHT AND MY CRANK HAS SPREAD APART ON THE FLYWHEEL SIDE AND THE ROD BIG END HAS ABOUT 1/4" OF SIDE CLEARANCE AND THE CRANK HAS WORN AWAY AT THE CASE. THIS DOES NOT LOOK GOOD TO ME!

#12 ·
1mm = .040 over

You can purchase Banshee overbore pistons in .010 increments from 10 over to 100 over (except for .070, for some odd reason). The .090 and .100 pistons leave the walls pretty thin, get hot fast, and often don't last long. But... if you're truly just 1mm over, you've got plenty of room left.

Keep in mind that even on gas with stock carbs, the Banshee motor is EASILY capable of going from 45 HP (with pipes) to 65 HP with just a port job. It's definitely the biggest bang for the buck.

My dune/drag ported 350 (no stroker, etc.) with CPI pipes and 34mm Mikuni carbs makes 74 rear wheel HP at 10,500 rpm on gas, and mid to upper 80's on alky. And it's really pretty tame compared to what you can do....

Have your crank looked at. If you haven't spun it, have it welded before doing anything else (high power Banshee motors can literally spin the crank in half). However, a good stock crank that's welded is good for 120HP and beyond.

Yes, your pistons should have windows in them. This allows the fuel/air mixture to get to your crank and lube it so she doesn't blow. Be leary of purchasing the various "power pistons" out there, which claim to give you ported bike power by hogging out the windows on the pistons. This does result in a power gain, but it's not the same as true porting of the actual cylinders and cases, plus it weakens the piston skirt making it succeptible to fracture.

#13 ·
THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELPFUL INFO. IT LOOKS LIKE I NEED TO START TO BY TEARING THE BOTTOM APART AND SEE IF MY CRANK IS FIXABLE OR NOT. AT THAT TIME I SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE ANY CASE DAMAGE. ARE WISECO PISTONS GOOD OR SHOULD I USE SOMETHING ELSE. I WAS LOOKING AT VITOS, BUT YOUR EXPLANATION MADE A LOT OF SENSE. THANK YOU.

#15 ·
You can purchase Banshee overbore pistons in .010 increments from 10 over to 100 over (except for .070, for some odd reason). The .090 and .100 pistons leave the walls pretty thin, get hot fast, and often don't last long. But... if you're truly just 1mm over, you've got plenty of room left.
Oh yeah...I lost my brain. Good info. :tup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.