Blue Traxx Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to build myself a new swingarm, and want to convert it to a roundhouse carrier, I have a Durable 2+2 on it, will my axle be the same diameter as a banshee axle? And will the brake caliper mount work the same for me? Cant find a roundhouse carrier for a warrior for any reasonable $

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
No, the carrier for the Banshee will NOT work for the Warrior. I was looking at getting an RPM carrier for my Warrior off eBay, and the Banshee's sell for $40 less than the Warriors. They said that the mounting distance for the brake caliper is different...or maybe the mounting holes in the caliper is different. You might be able to use it if you used a Banshee carrier, brake hub/rotor and sprocket hub. I dunno. Call LoneStar and act like you're gonna buy a swingarm and tell them you want a roundcarrier style, so you were thinking Banshee ('cuz their Warriro swingarm uses the stock carrier) and see what they say. Let us know what they say.

Are you building an extended swingam or just one to use a round carrier? If you get it sorted out, I'd be interested in a stock length swinger. I, too, would like to go to a roundcarrier. How much would you sell one for? In raw metal (I can get it powdercoated).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just picked up a carrier conversion assembly from http://www.jjandaracing.com/ Has the round billet carrier and brake caliper mount, as well as the straps to weld to the swingarm that hold the carrier, looks like really really nice pieces that they make. So when I get the stuff Ill let you know if its feasable to still run a warrior brake, Im really hoping, and 99% sure that the warrior axle diameter is the same as the banshee.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Perhaps these questions are better asked of JJ&A, but I'll throw 'em at you first. So does that kit use the clamp rings that they sell seperate? And do those rings get welded to a swingarm that you (or whoever) builds? How do you adjust for chain tension? Would you just whack the carrier 'fingers' off the stock A-arm and put this in place of it, or would you have to build all-new? This has picqued my interest, as I've twiosted the fingers on three different swingarms, so I'm looking for soemthing stronger, but don't wanna spring for the $700 for an aftermarket.

·
Registered
854 Posts
warriorracer, if and when i make the switch to a roundhousing swinger, and carrier, do you want my swingarm and durablue tapered bearing carrier? :tup: :hey:

i found a place that i can get swingarms fairly cheap, but an increase in demand will make the price rise pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
xrxmxcx said:
warriorracer, if and when I make the switch to a roundhousing swinger, and carrier, do you want my swingarm and durablue tapered bearing carrier? :tup: :hey:
I doubt it. The carrier doesn't seem to be the problem, it seems to be the swinger itself.

xrxmxcx said:
I found a place that I can get swingarms fairly cheap, but an increase in demand will make the price rise pretty quick.
A roundhousing carrier? How much you gettin' 'em for?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WarriorRacer#13 said:
Perhaps these questions are better asked of JJ&A, but I'll throw 'em at you first. So does that kit use the clamp rings that they sell seperate? And do those rings get welded to a swingarm that you (or whoever) builds? How do you adjust for chain tension? Would you just whack the carrier 'fingers' off the stock A-arm and put this in place of it, or would you have to build all-new? This has picqued my interest, as I've twiosted the fingers on three different swingarms, so I'm looking for soemthing stronger, but don't wanna spring for the $700 for an aftermarket.
Im not exactly sure what youre asking, but Ill try to answer. The way the roundhouse carrier/swingarm works is just like almost any honda quad ever built. The outside of the carrier is machined perfectly round, then the axle bearings are drilled into the carrier offset to one side so it looks like a big eccentric. To adjust for chain tension you simply loosen the two clamp bolts and turn the entire carrier with a tool and the holes drilled on the left side of the carrier.

This kit that I bought is two things actually, one is the carrier kit which includes:
-carrier
-bearings/seals/snaprings
-brake caliper mount
-tool

The other thing you have to buy to build your own is the "tube" that the carrier goes inside, which would be the two thin strips you are talking about.

I will let everyone know if I get this to work with banshee equipment since its a lot cheaper than warrior stuff.

If its not too difficult I would be willing to possibly make a few while im still in school for the next 4 weeks, have to finish my project first though.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I know how the carrier and axle go together. And I know that the two strips go around the carrier. My question was...do the two strips then get welded to a swingarm body that you make, or are you going to simply whack the zstock carrier 'fiongers' off the stock swingarm and use the rest of the stock swinger body to mount the new roundcarrier strips to? In my experience, the weak pioint in the Warrior swinger is those fingers. However, weight would obviously be an issue, so perhaps building a new swinger body from scratch would be lighter. But would it be strong enough to hold up to the rigors of motocross? I would be very interested in taking a stock swinger and mountign the roundcarrier strips to it, as I think that would provide me the strongest alternative. And weight, while an issue, is not so crucial as strength (I can sacrifice a pound or so for the added strength). Let me know how it all goes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WarriorRacer#13 said:
I know how the carrier and axle go together. And I know that the two strips go around the carrier. My question was...do the two strips then get welded to a swingarm body that you make, or are you going to simply whack the zstock carrier 'fiongers' off the stock swingarm and use the rest of the stock swinger body to mount the new roundcarrier strips to? In my experience, the weak pioint in the Warrior swinger is those fingers. However, weight would obviously be an issue, so perhaps building a new swinger body from scratch would be lighter. But would it be strong enough to hold up to the rigors of motocross? I would be very interested in taking a stock swinger and mountign the roundcarrier strips to it, as I think that would provide me the strongest alternative. And weight, while an issue, is not so crucial as strength (I can sacrifice a pound or so for the added strength). Let me know how it all goes.
Oh, gotchya.....I am building a brand new swingarm from scratch, I HAVE to in my situation being a completely different design from stock (6" missing from the middle of the pivot point). I suppose you could just chop off the ears that hold the carrier on the stock arm, but I dont think you would really gain much there, the stock arm is pretty cheap, as is everything on the warrior. I cannot believe some of the welds that they let go on these frames, most of them are not even penetrating the metal, and half are full of porosity.....anyway, I dont know if you would really gain too much strength over stock just by converting the carrier assembly to round, you would however gain convenience since adjusting the stock sucks.

Once I finish mine if I were to have time I would probably be interested in making another, any length you wanted, for a pretty reasonable cost....nothing compared to most aftermarket at least. But I will keep you updated on how it goes, still dont know if banshee equipment will work or not...hopefully!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know now for sure that banshees and raptors have a different axle carrier, banshees are 35mm bearings, warriors are 40mm....why yamaha made the weaker quad with a stronger axle i dont know, unless its because the 4stroke weighs a bit more??? It seems that they are also slightly wider, from bearing to bearing on the banshee carrier its 6-7/8", on a warrior its about 6-3/8" i think.

If anyone is interested though I have found bearings that will work in aftermarket banshee carriers to work with a warrior axle, and also the seals to work, but I am not sure yet if the width will be a factor, I dont believe it will be.

On the brake mount, no idea yet, still in the process of trying to conver this thing over if I even end up doing it yet, running out of time and might just build a stock style swinger for now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems like bearings have a uniform numbering system no matter the brand.

They are a model 6908-2RS 40mmx62mmx12mm

The seals dont really have a part #, but the size is 48x62x8, you can find them here:
http://justatv.com/pages/snowmobile_oil_seals/oil_seals_snow.htm

You will of course have to make your own center tube to the correct width and inside diameter.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
So then, with these bearings and seals (and a cetner tube of my makingor finding), I could use a Banshee carrier and swinger?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Did you determine for sure that a Banshee swinger will mount into the Warrior frame correctly? And what about a Raptor swinger? Will it mount intot the frame? Does the Raptor carry the same axle as the Warrior?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont know about the actual swingarm, whether its the same or not, Im just speaking in terms of the carrier itself. Seems like most all aftermarket round carriers have the same dimensions for the straps so you should be able to make it work. I would guess that the banshee swingarm is basically the same, but not postive, probly going to go with no on the raptor, arent they all aluminum and the linkage is different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
warriorracer, if and when i make the switch to a roundhousing swinger, and carrier, do you want my swingarm and durablue tapered bearing carrier? :tup: :hey:

i found a place that i can get swingarms fairly cheap, but an increase in demand will make the price rise pretty quick.
Im interested in those bearing , any website or store where I can find them

1 - 17 of 17 Posts