Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1987 warrior. and when i start it the first time it usually starts. but if i turn it off and try to turn it back on, it makes a clicking noise from the i believe starter solenoid. the little cylindrical peice with wires from it under the back fender on the left side (if your sitting on it) and is in a little rubber cup. and i pull start it and it starts. then i turn it off and it usually starts the second time. but if i try a third time, it always clicks and i gota pull start it. is my solenoid bad? maybe my battery? its not a HUGE deal since i can pull start, but is annoying.
thanks.

·
Registered
417 Posts
sounds like the battery but you can jump the solenoid to test it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
put a screwdriver acrossed the 2 bolts. its going to spark a bit and crank the starter so watch out.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
i had a very nice looking '98 warrior back in the day, but the damn thing constantly had electrical issues. mine buzzed and clicked when i hit the starter like you are describing, and i used a screw driver to jump the solenoid for a few times so i could ride.

a trusted private owned shop (knows what he is doing) replaced the solenoid twice and then ended up having to replace the stator eventually. i'd check the simple things first: battery, battery terminals are free from corrosion and even starter button free from corrosion...even though that's prob not it, but it doesn't hurt to clean...and then go into the solenoid. trying to remember the steps i took, but this was back in 2001 or so and my warror was only three years old.

i would also note that mine was hit or miss when i hit the start button. sometimes it would buzz, sometimes it would start, and sometimes nothing....total silence. that's why we assumed the solenoid was on its way out since the battery was somewhat new

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, well ive took my battery to advanced and they tested it saying it was holding a good charge, and i cleaned my positive bolt on the solenoid and the little washers and nuts that go on them. and still didn't start. so then i tried jumping it like you said and nothing happened. no sparks or anything. does this mean my solenoid is bad?

·
Registered
417 Posts
wait a sec, if you jumped the solenoid and nothing happened then its the battery or starter. sorry bout that. and since they said your battery is ok I'd pull the starter off and check the brushes next. that's easy enough to do. (getting it back together is a pain but just takes some patience)

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's not what mine does. I pulled the starter on mine, and tested it, and it works, so I put it back on. And I put a pair of pliers on the two bolts on the solenoid, it's got a bad battery, but I had a jumper hooked up to it also. The solenoid didnt do anything. S I hit the solenoid with a hammer and it worked and started right up., so came to the conclusion that it was the solenoid.

·
Registered
198 Posts
One day I heard clicking, but it would not try to start, I rebuilt the brushes in the starter and it ended up being something else in the starter that was bad. My multi-meter was reading 12 volts on one side of the solenoid and 3 volts on the other when trying to start it, so must have been using other volts to try and turn the starter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, well i took the starter of to take it apart.. and i CAN'T get the 2 screws off..theyr way to tight for some reason. stripped both of them even after spraying with wd40 and using 2 people one with the screwdriver and one with a wrench on it. so...should i just get a new one? also, i forgot to mention. that it not only will not start when the button is pushed and it just clicks, but it won't pull start either. is this a good sign of a bad starter or brushes??

·
Registered
417 Posts
do you mean it wont start when you pull it or you cant pull it at all?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, update. i got a new starter. and nothing changed. still just clicks at the solenoid. all my connections look ok. but before, i could pull the cord, but it wouldn't start. now it starts when i pull it but it still just clicks, and actually i can feel the clicking in one of the relays next to the solenoid. the one RIGHT next to to solenoid. so bad relay? or is the solenoid ok? is that the starter solenoid (maybe why it pull starts now but still clicks??)

·
Registered
175 Posts
the relay right next to the solonoid is the starting circuit cut-off relay.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts