Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, noooob here. I'm working on replacing my rear bearings. I got my axle about 3/4 of the way out but now its stuck good. Any ideas? I hate to keep beating on it.

·
8,530 Posts
I bet its the sleeve that keeps the bearings spaced, if you can get some heat in there heat up the spacer so you can get it to slide out. Usually you end up beating the hell out of it to get it out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response diggerz....That was my first thought but it came out real easy until I got to the point it is stuck at now. I'm hoping that I didn't wreck the splines on the sprocket side while they were coming through. I've got the carrier (with the stuck axle) completely off now. I should be able to get some heat on the spacer pretty easily now but that was my last resort.

·
Registered
574 Posts
maybe heat your carrier so you can pop the bearings out on one side, then your axle and bearing spacer can out as one piece. Then you can figure out why it's hung up on the spacer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response elwood....it looks like heating it up is going to be my best bet. Now....what should I use to heat er up? I don't have torches and all that, best I can do is one of those cheapo plumbing torches you screw onto the top of a can of propane. Think that will work? I've never had to heat up anything on this bike before. If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I got the carrier and axle separated using a little more brute force. got the bearings out the same way...now i just have to get the spacer off the axle. would be pretty easy if the rotor wasn't in the way?! it is fused to it's hub and the hex bolts won't budge. anyone that can knock this job out in 2 hours should be on a pit crew some where.

·
Registered
41 Posts
when u put new bearings in if u can see were the sleve is getting stuck on the way out on the axle you might want to take some sand paper and clean up the axle were it is getting stuck i had to do this because i put the new bearings in and when i put the axel in it got stuck and then i had to fight to get it back out and u dont want to knock the bearing loose

·
Registered
138 Posts
see if someone has a hydrolic press, that would probably be the quickest way to get it off, becareful though and put something over the threads that holds the tire hub on, ruined an axle lke that cuz it got mushroomed pretty bad

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no press but not a bad idea.......i've been heating it up and it's moving a little but it's gonna be a long night moving this slow

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jcray hit the nail on the head, about 2 mins in the press and it was out. it was just stuck from all the rust inside the sleeve. glad i drilled that zerk, hopefully i can avoid this problem in the future. thanks for the help fellas, much appreciated!

·
8,530 Posts
heat and after it cools use some PB Blaster and heat again..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts