Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After high school I want to work with deisel engines, with big rigs or anything of that nature. Does anyone know the avarage salary of a deisel mechanic?

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
first off remember i before e it's spelt diesel. they make good money but you'll work up to the big bucks don't expect to be making the mad money the first few years.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Quad warrior my wife works for UAT trucking in sylmar, the owner will higher you and pay for scholing, there starting saley is 21 an Hour but you have to have your own tools, let me know if you want to do an intership.. :tup:

They specialize in cummings diesel engines and diesel sales.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Do lots of back strengthening exercises. I'm not kidding either. If you work on trucks you'll be working on suspensions and drivetrain stuff way more than engines. I don't really know what mechanics in truck shops make. I'm a logger and we work on or own trucks. That's how I know about the things that go wrong. Learn all you can about air brake systems and electrical systems. Automotive electrical systems and truck systems are very different. Also learn about setting up differentials and rebuilding manual transmisions. Learn to love the smell of gear oil, you will bathe in it daily. Not trying to discourage you, just telling you some of the bad stuff. GOOD truck mechanics are in very high demand. Bad ones are a dime a dozen.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I have been around the trucking industry most of my life as my dad used to own his own truck and guess who got to help him maintain it. First thing to remember like Sinner660 said don't expect to make big bucks right off the bat. Even if you attend a deisel mechanics school you will still be starting at the bottom which will probably consist of busting tires or all the dirty work that the deisel techs do not want to do. Just be patient and watch every thing the techs are doing and learn as much as you can and you will eventualy be making the big bucks.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
union union union i cant stress that anymore............and even better if you work for the state ur in the union and they buy all the tools u want

im now a Mechanic for Bobcat, most of the stuff i deal with is hydrolic shit havent really got to get into the engines yet seeing how they last a long freakin time and most of the time when we do them all we do is pull the old and replace with a crate motor :tup:

·
Registered
960 Posts
In class we had career day and a diesel mechanic made 32,000 in average in a year, but I don't know how close that really is to that

·
Premium Member
5,563 Posts
Eruption said:
I have been around the trucking industry most of my life as my dad used to own his own truck and guess who got to help him maintain it. First thing to remember like Sinner660 said don't expect to make big bucks right off the bat. Even if you attend a deisel mechanics school you will still be starting at the bottom which will probably consist of busting tires or all the dirty work that the deisel techs do not want to do. Just be patient and watch every thing the techs are doing and learn as much as you can and you will eventualy be making the big bucks.
A technician's greatest strength is experience. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts