Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well heres the story , ive only had the car for one day , im just breaking it in today. i put it on a bucket and let it idle w/ a fan placed on it. it idled through about 1- 3/4 tanks of gas with a 20 min. break in the middle. i come back out side and while its idleing i gave it a small amount of gas , and the tires didnt spin at all the gears just stayed still while the engine revved to high hell. so i shut it off and looked at everything and noticed about 5 teeth on the small gear totally melted , and about 15 on the big gear , . . but its only one day old , anyone know if AE will send replacement gears or if anyone sells metal gears so they wont melt????

·
Registered
804 Posts
I dont think its supposed to sit that long man, when i broke in my ofna and my tmaxx i let them sit for like 20 minutes running really rich sounding all burbaly and shatty kinda like a honda. Then drove it around a little bit. stuff does happent ho just buy new parts they are pretty cheap! ive had to replace a few spur gears on my tmaxx my ofna has alluminum gears, but she costed over 700$

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
TopGunnYFZ450 said:
sounding all burbaly and shatty kinda like a honda.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LMFAO, that is the greastest.

I have a nitro truck though, I think its a HPI MT4.

Anyways when I broke mine in, I let it idle for about 10 minutes, then shut it off for a minute, then let it idle for 10 minutes, shut it off for a minute, then started it up and let it idle for about 10 seconds, then let it rip.

I would still use it today, but about 6 months ago I broke an a-arm off when it was going full speed and I under judged a turn and hit a tree.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ive never heard of leting it idle to break it in. I run it on the street making sure its rich for about 2 tanks and not pushing it to hard.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Some people say that breakin in does nothing for the motor and others say it will increase engine life so thats kind of a big controversy :roll: ...but when i bought my nitro mt i was told to break it in by the store so i did and my motor last me for 2 years but i didnt really drive it much..but right now its waiting and new motor...my nitro mt broke teeth off the sprocket but i was because i motor shook lose and made the gears grind so i put some tread lock on the motor screws but it never melted.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
PimpinRaptor66OR said:
Some people say that breakin in does nothing for the motor and others say it will increase engine life so thats kind of a big controversy :roll: ...but when i bought my nitro mt i was told to break it in by the store so i did and my motor last me for 2 years but i didnt really drive it much..but right now its waiting and new motor...
The break in period is crucial to any engine. People will tell you to haul ass and you'll be fine, well that does work, but the rings will be fried in a few months. Breakin seats the rings to the cylinder wall and carves all the parts out to precise clearance and whatnot. Even though r/c cars have no rings, it's still crucial to the cranks and shafts and rods and all that good stuff.

HPI are supposed to idle for like 6 tanks I think and then its broken in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is usually a good idea to idle through atleast 3 to 4 tanks. What vehicle do you have. You said Associated, they produce the NTC3, the GT, and the MGT(Thunder tiger actaully makes it). You should not have to put a fan on it. The High Speed needle should be rich enough that the motor wouldnt over heat at idle. The you slowly lean it out and work your way to full throttle on a nice level paved surface. Break in is very important to these motors. Since there are no rings the piston to sleeve fit is very, very tight. If you dont break in properly you will destroy your conrod. Trust me, I just helped rebuild a .15 in a GT due to improper break in. Sounds like you lost some teeth on your clutch bell and your spur gear. Never seen that happen during break in. Check out Robinson Racing Products(RRP). They make a nice metal spur gear that includes a new clutch bell, about 30 bucks.

·
8,530 Posts
Blah, blah, Running 80% oil, break in procedures on these engines is not crucial...

Idling these engines is not good, OBVIOUSLY, if you melted the spur gear, IT WAS HOT!!!

These engines run at their peak between 220 and 250, depending on the fuel and size of your engines.. It is a very good idea to have either an on-board thermo or a hand held. Depending on the weather, you will have to adjust the carb. fairly often...

Your best bet is to just drive it, just don't wind the hell out of it for the first couple tanks of fuel... My ofna .21, lastes 7 years this way, and then it was the rod that let loose in it, if the rod wouldn't have hit the sleeve, it would have still been in perfect running condition..

IMO, some of these high detail break-in procedures are manufacturers insurance on the warranty policies.

·
Registered
611 Posts
here's a tip for when u put the new spurs in, when u get both in, dont tighten it up but um but a peice of paper between the 2 gears and spin the gears and it will leave lil indent, make sure it doesnt rip the paper, but at the same time make sure it leaves a firm crease. :)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all of the replies.i orgot to mention it was the ntc3 rtr plus..... i just bought a hand held engine temp checker so at least ill know whats going on there , and i guess ill probobly just buy the two $4. spur gears and try again the way you guys were talking about with just letting it going up and down the street nice and easy and slowly get faster. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
dont listin to any of the companys break in instructions, they are crap, or any thing they tell you lol, your best bet is to join a rc forum site, you can get alot of good information from them like as to quads here on BT... rc universe is best...the best way is just take it easy going up and down the street slowly giving it more gas for about 3-4 tanks like someone else said before...dont just let it sit there lol...another tip is use after run oil after you use it helps so much with starting and really does keep the inside of the motor clean.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Idling these engines is not good, OVBIOUSLY
Who the hell said to let it idle with a fan? That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The fan can only cool off the motor at the same rate. When you drive the car, the faster u go the more it cools. And for those who said don't listen to the manufacturers break-in procedure I think you should have your heads examined. I can't believe all the wrong info I've read in this thread. :no:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts