Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, this is my first post so please go easy on me... I found plenty of Carb related posts, but nothing specific to my needs, so I could really use some help.

I have a 2005 Raptor 660R that hasn't been used in years. I've pulled it out of storage, and have been working on it over the last few weeks. I've done the oil change, coolant flush, cleaned the carb, replaced the fuel petcock, replaced the gas, and have made some performance upgrades but I still can't get it running right.

Problem: The quad only runs with choke almost fully engaged. If I try to disengage the choke, it dies. If I try to give give it gas and turn the choke off, it backfires like crazy then dies.

The carb is spotless. It looks new and has all new jets. Fuel/Air mixture screw is 2.5 turns out. Needle on 4th clip.

I put in new mikuni 160/165 main jets. (it had stock main jets before)
I put in new mikuni 25 pilot jets (it had 22.5s before)
I added a pro-design pro racing air in take w/ K&N and outerwear charger and removed airbox lid. (stock airbox before)
I added new pro-circuit header to go with existing DR.D slip-on muffler.

I don't think it could be the sparkplug since I have it fires up with choke on no problem, but I have a new one on the way anyways.

This thing is driving me nuts, so I really appreciate anyone's help!! Thank you!!!!

·
8,530 Posts
Carbs. Carbs. Carbs.. Those damned pilot circuits are so small that it takes quite a bit to clear them. The best is compressed air and carb cleaner.. (watch your eyes!!). Pull the pilots out fill the port with carb cleaner and make sure it bleeds out, do the same with the mixture screw. Also pull the choke out and get it clean in there. Don't get carb cleaner on the diaphragms on the tops.

Double check your intake boots, make sure your carbs are fully seated. One backfire can pop the carbs out.

Where the choke is what is changing the way its running, it is lean without the choke..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there I'm new to this as well and don't no were to post the questions..I have a 01 660 that I recently put carbs on bran new from yamaha. When it's cold it will run beautiful once it starts to warm up it will act like it drops out going into second gear..check timing. Carb boots .not sure what it could be .please help

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
my guess is the jetting is off. the chances you could grab 2 carbs off of the shelf, slap them on and have them tuned perfectly for your mods and elevation is very slim. after you run it for a few minutes pull the plugs and check the color. they should look like milk chocolate. if they are white they are 2 lean if they are black and sooty too rich. if the jets are factory my guess would be too lean as every Yamaha I have owned, and that's a lot has been lean from the factory. however from your brief description it sounds rich, acts like the choke is on. which would indicate an issue with the choke or that it is too rich. I recommend if you are not to savvy with tuning get a dyna jet kit or jd jet kit and at least watch a youtube video on tuning before you tear apart your brand new carbs. if it was me I would get a paper manual and follow the steps but I am old and that's easier for me. I am not a raptor guy but I have heard digger talk about a tube that runs between the carbs that can be a problem as well but I don't know anymore that that about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts