Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is anyone running it in their yfz?what kind of gains are to be expected and is anyone using the esr alky kit? do you have to rejet all the time?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Iam using the ESR kit. the weather around here stays pretty much the same. my motor is stock, i keep up with 470's 480's pretty built, cams, fly wheel etc. some people say the notice is not that great but when you get it jetted right they run! :tup: i think a 480 or 508 on alky is the ticket. iam going to say 4+ bikes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We will see if you can keep up on Saterday :nod:
Jakes YFZ runs hard on alky I rode it last time at pismo and it rips. I agree a big bore or stroker on alky would be awesome.

Jake do you have a zip ty fuel screw in your carb ?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Why not run alky and NOS :lol: A bike that is piped,filtered,cam mod, flywheel, weight reduction on alky should keep up with BBs 470-480s.

·
Registered
83 Posts
keep up :roll:
i think that would keep up with a 470 on alcohol :hey:
I think alcohol will let your bike run one gear higher if you are a hillshooter
I havent seen any gas 470's in my area to compare them to a 440 alcohol bike but I think it would be about even.
SoCal does jakes bike keep up with yours??

·
Registered
1 Posts
blwettstein said:
is anyone running it in their yfz?what kind of gains are to be expected and is anyone using the esr alky kit? do you have to rejet all the time?
Is the ESR alky kit for the stock carb or did you get a 41FCR carb to run Alky? Is it pretty easy to switch back and forth from gas to Alky or does the kit make permanent changes to the carb?

·
Registered
345 Posts
CPC I know your bike keeps up, you removed so much weight off that thing lol, you ever think of stroking it with BB, you would have one fast yfz with that weight reduction.

·
Registered
83 Posts
thought about it alot even have a spare crank under my bed
the fact there there is only really a few stroker options and the cost is so high I have it on hold for now but it will happen someday. I think the BB will be a nice addition to my bike :))

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sprinter5 said:
blwettstein said:
Is the ESR alky kit for the stock carb or did you get a 41FCR carb to run Alky? Is it pretty easy to switch back and forth from gas to Alky or does the kit make permanent changes to the carb?
if i understand right the kit uses the stock carb and can be converted back to gas if needed.the kit consists of a needle,1 pilot,and mains i think??

·
Registered
83 Posts
sounds right.
you basically need to flow twice as much fuel with alcohol.
I dont use a stock carb I have a 42mm mikuni but it is running a 320 main jet.
you just change the internals of your carb back and forth as long as you are only moding changable jets and not drilling the carb itself

·
Registered
129 Posts
What do you do as far as flushing the alcohol out? And, how often do you have to flush it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
you have to get the alcohol out of your bike everyday :roll:
take the tank off and drain it, I run the carb empty and then attach a small gas tank and run gas in it to flush out the carb. that is the simple method, some people take the carb apart after every ride and clean it as well, the alcohol is also hard on the oil in your bike you should change your oil after every ride.

it is a added hassle and your mile per tank suck. I only recomend alcohol to guys that are serious about drag racing and dont trail ride as much.

·
Registered
166 Posts
cpcpatriot said:
keep up :roll:
i think that would keep up with a 470 on alcohol :hey:
I think alcohol will let your bike run one gear higher if you are a hillshooter
I havent seen any gas 470's in my area to compare them to a 440 alcohol bike but I think it would be about even.
SoCal does jakes bike keep up with yours??
Jake and I raced at pismo a few weeks back we had a blast very even races from start to finished. Then we switched bikes and he beat me by 1 to 2 bike lengths I am 6'2" and 220lbs Jake is tall also but weighs less than me. We are gong to meet at pismo this weekend I have a few changes and there should be some fast YFZs there. Mabey I will have Jake be my back up rider :nod:

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you really have to drain the alcohol out every night?will it just gum up the carb?how long does an average tank last?

·
Registered
83 Posts
alcohol likes to absorb water when it is exposed to the air. and alcohol is corosive to alluminum :scared:
so you drain the tank to keep the alcohol from absorbing water and you get it out of your carb so it doesnt sit and eat away at it :(
your gas mileage will cut in half on alcohol.
later Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
ESR methanol conversion .............WOWWWWWWWWW.

guys just i got back from the beach after first alky tryout and the results are ..................way more than 4-5 bikes and more like 6-8.And I didnt start off running regular c12, or other high octane mixture, but a mixture of 93+nitropropane.
I have jetted the 93+PN to a point where it was 4-5 bikes better than c12 and about the same as a meth converted 450r.Well I couldnt believe the way the our yfz loved the meth, it seemed like it was just alittle rich but truly hauled butt. It revs faster and has more tq:every shift wheelied including 4th to 5th.
THE GUYS WE RACE ALL THE TIME ASKED WHAT WE HAD DONE to the bike over the past week and didnt believe me when i told them about the ESR carb kit.They said ya and what piston did ya put in her the 13-1 or 14-1!
Man when ya got them this worked up ya know your on the right track . I cant wait til next weekend when i add the NP to the meth its really gonna light off. Yall pm me and i give ya some info on running this stuff.( GET READY FOR A EXTENDED SWINGARM OR SOME REAL TALL GEARING........FRONTEND IS REAL HARD TOO KEEP DOWN)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Being a low-buck hotrodder myself, I will add my $.02 FWIW. Alky makes much more torque down low in the revs, but requires a bit more duration on the intake in order to achieve the same gains in HP at higher revs. Also the whole thing behind draining & flushing after use is all BS IMO. I run alky in everything INCLUDING my street-driven mild built Mustang and so far after 2 years of driving it, there have been no problems at all. The trick is to keep the tank full when sitting. It won't absorb near as much moisture if it's already full. On my Mojave, I just fill the tank, put a plug on the cap vent to seal the tank and leave it sit...sometimes for 3-4 weeks at a time, and after 3 years, I haven't had one problem. When I am ready to race, I just put the vent hose back on, pull the choke and give it a kick. Fires right up....though it takes forever and a day to warm up. Another thing to note is that you'd better let the motor warm up....all the way to operating temp (and I use a lean-out on the Mojave) and let it stay there a while. This keeps the oil from milking. On the race car, I just lean it out, turn off the water pump, and let it get up to 210-220 then shut it off and let it "heat soak". Never had milky oil.

But, if you're using alky in your race YFZ, you're gonna be freshening up the motor often anyway (hopefully) and it'll all get drained (oil and fuel) while it's apart.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: ESR methanol conversion .............WOWWWWWWWWW.

bigdog1 said:
guys just i got back from the beach after first alky tryout and the results are ..................way more than 4-5 bikes and more like 6-8.And I didnt start off running regular c12, or other high octane mixture, but a mixture of 93+nitropropane.
I have jetted the 93+PN to a point where it was 4-5 bikes better than c12 and about the same as a meth converted 450r.Well I couldnt believe the way the our yfz loved the meth, it seemed like it was just alittle rich but truly hauled butt. It revs faster and has more tq:every shift wheelied including 4th to 5th.
THE GUYS WE RACE ALL THE TIME ASKED WHAT WE HAD DONE to the bike over the past week and didnt believe me when i told them about the ESR carb kit.They said ya and what piston did ya put in her the 13-1 or 14-1!
Man when ya got them this worked up ya know your on the right track . I cant wait til next weekend when i add the NP to the meth its really gonna light off. Yall pm me and i give ya some info on running this stuff.( GET READY FOR A EXTENDED SWINGARM OR SOME REAL TALL GEARING........FRONTEND IS REAL HARD TOO KEEP DOWN)
What beach were you at ?
I just got back from pismo in CA and race alky YFZs & 450Rs and beat them all by few bike lenths. I had my jetting right on and was running U4 The only bike that beat me was a YFZ on boondockers with 25" 10 paddles :nod: He told me he had to hit the button to beat me then he ran out of nos :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts