Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well refering to cars. I had about 3 people tell me that adding a cold air intake, and a exhaust to a car aids to better gas mileage? Is this true? Something about the car not having to work as hard to produce power.

I was always under the impression that adding that was like a quad. Cause a pipe and filter on my dirtbike sure didnt give me better gas mileage.

Just asking..

·
Registered
738 Posts
If your motor has a clutch fan, take it off :tup: put electric fan on!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
depends on the type of veihicle, carb or efi also

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yea for the most part it is true. If you put an Cai on then the motor gets air faster and more amounts of air then it did with the stocker. The Exhaust would get rid of alot of the curves and bends in the piping and making it better for gas mileage. Iam sure theres a better explantion but thats pretty much what it would do. If you Change the Ecu(computer) it would save alot of gas and give more power.

Is this a specific car or just in general

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
i have has 3 new truck and i have exhaust on all of them and intakes too, i dident get any better gas. But them maybe i just liked to hear my exhaust too :nod:

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
You can expect better milage out of a lot of mods as long as you arent modding to add more fuel. Using cruise control is a big help, electric fans too.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Any time you allow more air to enter the engine, the car's computer will add fuel to maintain the proper a/f ratio.

More air in = more fuel consumed. Figure it out.

·
Registered
615 Posts
more air = more fuel = higher fuel consumption which cannot equal better gas mileage no matter how you look at it.

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
BLUinNE said:
more air = more fuel = higher fuel consumption which cannot equal better gas mileage no matter how you look at it.
Hahah you dont know much about cars do you.

Try this one. Easier to inhale + easier to exhale = better fuel EFFICIENCY!

I have the Banks stage one kit (cold air intake and full exhaust) and I do get better milage.

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
CAMOGRIZZ said:
BLUinNE said:

I have the Banks stage one kit (cold air intake and full exhaust) and I do get better milage.
That's what I'm thinking. If you get on it, yes it's going to get worse mileage. It's like putting a 4bbl on a truck that had a 2, stay out of it and it will get better mileage. Get in it and it'll drink faster. Making more power = less to get up and go/easier cruising = better economy. Things like bigger injectors, throttle bodies etc = more power but worse economy most of the time, but it kinda goes against my 2bbl vs 4bbl thing... It's all how you drive I guess... Camo is your truck a 454 or a 6.5?

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Warrior said:
CAMOGRIZZ said:
BLUinNE said:

That's what I'm thinking. If you get on it, yes it's going to get worse mileage. It's like putting a 4bbl on a truck that had a 2, stay out of it and it will get better mileage. Get in it and it'll drink faster. Making more power = less to get up and go/easier cruising = better economy. Things like bigger injectors, throttle bodies etc = more power but worse economy most of the time, but it kinda goes against my 2bbl vs 4bbl thing... It's all how you drive I guess... Camo is your truck a 454 or a 6.5?

·
Registered
615 Posts
CAMOGRIZZ said:

come in 2 doors sometimes 4, some have seats for 2 sometimes more. If you want to get into engines then yes I do know a lot about them as far as taking them apart and telling you what each parts job does but engine tuning I dont know shet. I know higher octane gives you wose fuel economy. Im too lazy to look it up but Im sure some big shot automotive engineer has come out with a 1,20,333 page manual that discusses all of this and has the answer.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
CAMOGRIZZ said:
BLUinNE said:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
RaptorMan03 said:
i have has 3 new truck and i have exhaust on all of them and intakes too, i dident get any better gas. But them maybe i just liked to hear my exhaust too :nod:
With posts like that I dont think you have the right to call anyone stupid...

Time to lay off the pipe/bottle or you just need Hooked on Phonics.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
CAMOGRIZZ said:
BLUinNE said:
:lol: 90% of the people in here dont know much about cars.
just let em talk nonsence and marvel at how second hand information quickly becomes first hand experiance :lmao:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
BLUinNE said:
CAMOGRIZZ said:

come in 2 doors sometimes 4, some have seats for 2 sometimes more. If you want to get into engines then yes I do know a lot about them as far as taking them apart and telling you what each parts job does but engine tuning I dont know shet. I know higher octane gives you wose fuel economy. Im too lazy to look it up but Im sure some big shot automotive engineer has come out with a 1,20,333 page manual that discusses all of this and has the answer.

The higher the octane.. the slower the fuel burns, thus you get more outta higher octane then you do a lower octane... :wtf:

AND YES you car will get better gas mileage with an intake and exhaust... weather its a small or big gap, you will notice some bit of on e... onto of that your engine will run much more clean and "free" youll notice somewhat of a grunt to it too that was never there before.... you'll be getting better use out of your internals that are already there (that the stock intake and exhasut restrict).... of course the difference in gas mileage and power differeneces you gain depend on the type or make of intakes and exhausts (stage 1 to stage 4 comparison would be a good example)... but that all aside you will notice a better fuel effiecency and overall strong more "full" running motor :tup:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
NitrousGuy said:
CAMOGRIZZ said:
BLUinNE said:
:lol: 90% of the people in here dont know much about cars.
just let em talk nonsence and marvel at how second hand information quickly becomes first hand experiance :lmao:
You are absolutely Rite and Yam 21 You are absolutely Wrong

1 - 20 of 21 Posts