Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out my options. There is a problem with my carb; it idles fine, but when I put a load on it (generally in higher rpms) it starts to sputter. Had the carb cleaned, with no luck to the issue (I think it might be a vacuum issue of some sort?). Thought about buying replacement parts, but I dont even know where to begin.

Buying a new carb is $400 +. I see it's possible to use a warrior carb, but that is on later models. Is it possible to do it with the older model wolverines?

·
Registered
54 Posts
First and foremost, replace the spark plug and gap it correctly. a plug can look good but still fire weak. I've seen a couple times through the years where a seemingly good spark plug would start and idle in an engine but would quit firing as rpm's increased.
under the increased load compression just blows the fire out on a weak spark plug.

Carb's dont wear out. Short of a defect that creates a fuel leak or someone damaging part of the casting theres no reason a rebuild wont fix any carb problem.
If its sputtering at high revs, thats an indication of lean. main jet/needle need some attention.
After you run it at high rpms how's the plug look? if its tan to a medium dark brown jetting's ok. if its white its lean, black carbon/rich, black oily deposits its burning oil.

Just because the carb was "rebuilt" doesnt mean it was done correctly nor does it mean the carb is spotless clean inside. Did the rebuilder put a kit in it and use the new jets/needle etc from the kit?
Is the float level set properly? a float set too low will cause the engine to run out of fuel at high fuel demand situations, IE: full throttle or extended high rpm scenerios.
tear the carb down completely, dunk it in a bucket of carb cleaner, or use a couple cans of spray cleaner in ALL passages and blow them out well with compressed air. pay particular attention to jets as those small openings can easily stay partially plugged. be sure float level is set properly and needle/seat are in good shape.
Know how to make minor adjustments to not only the low speed mixture screw but also how to diagnose low rev jetting problems and top end jetting also. raising the needle will richen the top end, lowering it has the opposite effect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
most of time it is needle jet or float adjustment it is rare to see clodged jet. crack in the diaphragm can be a problem. valve clearance must be check if it never done . is your airfilter well oiled ? is the stock air filter ? is the stock exhaust ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts