Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I was recently gifted a 1987 Warrior from it's original owner. It's well ridden but runs.
as i research this model I keep finding that various parts are 87 only,like the A arms. and ignition. Is there a place that lists the yearly changes in the Warrior model? It would be nice to have these available as I figure out my shopping list and the parts I need to bring this thing back to it's former glory.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks! :nerd

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
there is no resource that i know of but in general the 87-88 have a unique chassis, it is bigger and heavier than the later models. the a arms are significantly bigger and have replaceable ball joints, later a arms will not work without welding. and as you said the electronics on the 87 are one of a kind. all of the engine parts are the same except the flywheel and the 87-88 had a pull start so there is a comp release on the head. the swing arm is also different but i was told it is possible to bolt on a later model if need but i did not try it so i cant say for sure.

ebay is your best source look at the pictures to make sure you are getting the correct part. the carb and carb kit are the same as the 96 and later single cable models

if you have specific questions or need let me know i restored an 87. it was expensive and a little tougher to find parts than the other 2 i did but everything is available except the cdi, you can get them used or you have to retro a later model system

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just sold my '87 after rebuilding it. As Cory mentioned....the biggest thing is it has two pick up coils so the Stator, wiring harness, flywheel and cdi are definitely unique to '87. Also, the CDI Box used go for 200.00-300.00 and you can't expect them to last. My suggestion is to keep all this cost in mind... especially if the bike needs a lot of up-front repair cost already.

Do yourself a favor and call or go to Ricky Stator - Manufacturer of ATV and Dirt Bike Stators, Electrical Components, Lighting Systems and Suspension Products to get the right Stator for the bike. More expensive but your bike will run correctly. I went through 2 Caltric Stators and another off brand till I listened to Cory's suggestion's.

On a personal note... I will never attempt to rebuild any warrior below '89 again. Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. that was quite helpful. It's a one owner ride and the now 72 year old bought it new in 87. She didn't ride it hard, but she was over 300 pounds so it was well worked. The machine ran 6 months ago, but upon replacing the battery I am finding I do not have a spark. :/ Now hoping the CDI is not the issue. Breaking out the multi meter to see if there is a lack of power anywhere.
I have restored VW's my entire life and this stator ignition is new to me. Currently looking up threads on spark troubleshooting.
On a side note I need a hitch for this. I need it to drag my property and a spray tank, but all hitches are 89 and newer. Thank god for google and the internet I can't imagine doing the research prior to 2000 :)
Thanks again guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the motor unique? Is it possible to just replace the harness (or wire my own I used to do this for motor home/city bus conversions.) and all the electronics to 89 or newer? or does the motor actually require the special stator? I suppose if the flywheel is special then it must be.
What is the actual market value for one of these. Maybe I should just make it look pretty and sell it as not running..

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
the motor is exactly the same except for the compression release on the head any generation electronics will work but you have to replace everything. harness, switches, coil, stator, pickup coil, cdi, rectifier and flywheel. the flywheel is the tough part because there is no identification that i know of. there may be some inner change of the flywheels but none that i know of. i have helped several guys on here and it came down to the wrong flywheel

·
Registered
1 Posts
there is no resource that i know of but in general the 87-88 have a unique chassis, it is bigger and heavier than the later models. the a arms are significantly bigger and have replaceable ball joints, later a arms will not work without welding. and as you said the electronics on the 87 are one of a kind. all of the engine parts are the same except the flywheel and the 87-88 had a pull start so there is a comp release on the head. the swing arm is also different but i was told it is possible to bolt on a later model if need but i did not try it so i cant say for sure.

ebay is your best source look at the pictures to make sure you are getting the correct part. the carb and carb kit are the same as the 96 and later single cable models

if you have specific questions or need let me know i restored an 87. it was expensive and a little tougher to find parts than the other 2 i did but everything is available except the cdi, you can get them used or you have to retro a later model system
I’m building a 1988 Yamaha warrior 350 and I’ve had multiple people tell me that the 89 control arms and a arms work fine with them and want to know for sure before spending money on them and if they don’t fit do you know where I could find some +2” control arms and a arms for it and a +4” swing arm. Thanks

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
they will not fit without fabrication, the rings for mounting them are not spaced correctly. i had the 2 side by side. 87 and 88 chassis are completely different. if it has replaceable ball joints it is the early frame and wont work with the 89 and up. it is common for people to think that, there are not many 87-88s left and it is the only frame change that i know of through to the raptor 350s. i have spent a lot of time searching warrior parts i did frame ups on 3 of the an 87 a 96 and an 01. i have never seen a set of first gen extended a arms and only 1 or 2 stock ones. as to the swing arm if memory serves they ran a different carrier in the rear and the swing arms do not inter change either. not 100 percent positive on the swing arm but pretty sure. the good news is you will never built enough power to need a plus 4 swing arm in a warrior. in a nut shell if you like the 88 do the airbox and pipe and ride it for what it is, they are great machines but they are what they are. even if you had an 89 and up the 1000 bucks you are going to spend to get a arms and a swing arm is not worth it. sell the warrior and take the extra grand and buy an old yfz or a raptor 660 you will spend way less and have more like what you want

1 - 8 of 8 Posts