Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 2005 Yamaha yfz 450se I was riding everything was fine shut it off then went to start it turned the switch to run and the ignition on pushed the start button and nothing no neutral light or headlights. I have power going thru the off on switch power going thru the key. Tried with the clutch in and out it is in neutral. There is a black and a blue wire that go to the start button itself does anyone know if the black is a ground wire. Would a bad natural relay switch cause this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stupid question where is the starter solenoid located and how do I go about jumping it? And do you have any idea what needs to be fixed?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
left side under the rear fender. as to what wrong jumping that is the first step in diagnosing that. if it starts when you jump those posts it is the starter solenoid itself. that is just a simple test. there are dozens of thing that can cause your issue and you have to sort them step by step. i am guessing you are a novice mechanic so if jumping that does not start the machine the next thing you need to do is order the clymer manual. you can get it on ebay for 25 bucks and it will pay for itself on this problem alone in not using the trial and error method for tracking down electrical problems. i can walk you through the whole thing but you will need the manual for specs and to follow along

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you I will order the manual and go from there thank you for the help and I will be in contact

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I purchased the clymer manual I found out my battery was fried got a new one charged it fully I tested the starter relay and found out that it was bad I hooked the battery up to the coil heard a click but didn't get any reading of continuity between the posts it read O.L so I think I found the problem does this sound like I'm on the right track I ordered the relay and will let you know when I get it put in thanks for the info on the manual it is very helpful

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I put the new battery and the new starter relay in and still no power no neatural light and it won't do any thing no clicking from the relay. But I hit the positive battery cable on the starter cable and it turned over. Haven't had much time to work on it so tomorrow going to finish removing all the plastic and check grounds diodes switches and relays hopefully I find something if you have any ideas plz let me know I want to go ride thanks

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
i assume you are talking about the starter solenoid and jumping across the terminals makes it spin. with the key on and jumping it will it start? there are 2 small wires a red and a black that power the harness they are easy to dislodge when you are changing a battery. do you have 12 volts at the black and blue wire on the solenoid when you hit the starter button. i suspect you may have a bad relay, on of the black boxes in the battery box. i assume you checked the main fuse when you replaced the battery

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I'll check all that today and get back with ya and yes across the solenoid I didn't crank it over long enough to fire it up wasn't sure if that would cause other problems I tested the relay box that is right next to the solenoid and according to the book it is faulty I'll know more about the rest later today

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It just turns over it don't start. Is the neural relay and the starter relay the same thing the book also calls it the circuit cut off relay are they all the same little box

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
there should be 2 little black boxes but they are the same and can be swapped. i need to know if you have spark when you are jumping it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts