Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put 6 miles on it a few trips to a buddies house in town.
Didn't get above 35.
Was night and 65F outside
Got home and was checking her over before garaging it when i noticed the headers red hot out about 2.5"
Big deal or not? Before i check them i noticed a good deal of heat just riding it.
I know shit gets hot but i think it was also crackling/cutting out maybe at higher rpm that last ride home.

I'm not riding it until i get an answer if it's safe really.
I don't even need to be riding it seeing as i'm using it as a street commuter/every day. Once i get my wheels, tires, lowering kit, spacers, and most importantly(to the cops) my endorsement. Used to have it but was a dumb ass and let my license expire too long after my 21st and didn't have a bike to take the test on again. Sooo here i am doing it again.

Thanks for all your help, I have not much mechanic experience but worked in a bike shop in HI for a full yr so i have a background being around the shit and helping customers solve problems once in a while.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Red hot headers are normal...mine will glow a good 4" from the head...you are good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red hot headers are normal...mine will glow a good 4" from the head...you are good.
alright, haven't experienced this with anything else. The only things i've own are Ninjas and never seen red hot pipes. Honestly makes sense if there is any flame at all reaching the beginning of the header then it's gonna get fuckin hot.
thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Both my raptors(one 2013) and LTR are the same way...in fact the LTR is is worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both my raptors(one 2013) and LTR are the same way...in fact the LTR is is worse.
I plan on grabbing an aftermarket header, probably Powerbomb since i plan on getting the GTYR FMF pipe with my $50 off coupon...only good on genuine yamaha parts.

Once i get it set up i'll be posting pictures.

·
Registered
24 Posts
another thing to consider is the heated competition manufacturers are always in to save weight. the exhaust system is made with very thin steel near the ports and they will show color quicker then a thicker guage metal will. my 06 did it everytime I ran it. I put a full titanium exhaust system on it (even thinner and lighter then the factory steel pieces) and they glow faster and further down. nothing to worry about bro.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another thing to consider is the heated competition manufacturers are always in to save weight. the exhaust system is made with very thin steel near the ports and they will show color quicker then a thicker guage metal will. my 06 did it everytime I ran it. I put a full titanium exhaust system on it (even thinner and lighter then the factory steel pieces) and they glow faster and further down. nothing to worry about bro.
good point thanks man. I've got my Duro Scorchers FR4.5psi RR5psi
front and rear lowered with CRJ kits and the front widened 1.5"/side rear2.5"/side with CRJ spacers. had to soften the front shock and compression a bit but man she handles nicely...just had to say i've been away from toys for a while now and i'm normally a sport bike owner but i'm really diggin having a powerful quad with lots of torque!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts