Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm the new owner of a 2006 Wolverine 350. I've had it for about a month, and it just started giving me trouble when I open the throttle. At idle and up to about 3/4 throttle, it's great, but once I open it up, it starts sputtering and loosing power.

I've read a number of threads that point to various potential causes, most of them being in the carb. I want to run one theory by you all to see if anyone thinks it makes sense: Just before this started, I cleaned the air filter. The previous owner had used a premium foam filter oil - one of the blue colored mixes that is thick and sticky - like blue honey. It was very much dirty. Very much. I soaked it in my best solvent (aka gasoline) and oiled it with K&N's red oil, which is much lighter and not sticky at all.

I'm wondering if it's possible that either the factory jetting for the Wolverine is set up to use that heavy oil, or the previous owner may have adjusted the jetting to compensate for that oil, and so when I cleaned the filter and reinstalled it with a light oil, I'm bringing in a lot more air and making it run lean. Does that sound right to anyone?

I'm just looking for a quick fix on this one. I've got a day of hard riding coming up and I'm swamped at work until then. If I can't figure out a quick fix, I'm taking it to a shop - I don't have the time in the next couple weeks to sort out all the potential issues with the carb.

Anyone have any similar experience?

Thanks in advance!

·
8,529 Posts
I would agree with your diagnosis, may be running lean. Try one size larger main jet and see how it runs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I'm at it..

While we're talking about the air filter, I'm wondering about those three hoses that run through the holes on top of the air intake elbow. Is the order they are in or the distance they stick through those holes important? I assume they're all breathers of some sort. Please straighten me out if I'm wrong.

·
8,529 Posts
I doubt location matters they are vents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with diggerzmound, there is a chance that a small piece of grass or something is in the main jet (I have cleaned pieces out a dozen times from mine and friends carbs) however since I started putting a small inline fuel filter on the float bowl vent line [one of the lines you were asking about ( biggest one hence the fuel filter)] I haven't had it happen since. either way you are pulling the carb;) let us know what you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts