Blue Traxx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have had my warrior for a month or so now Its been running great, now that I put a new clutch in and fixed the back brakes.

The first 2 times I rode it it didnt make any ticking noise. But on the third long ride once it got hott after riding for a few hours its started to develop a tick by the front of the motor that gets louder as you rev. (at first i thought it was a exhaust leak) but after further inspection its comming from inside the motor towards the front.

I figured it just needed a valve adjustment, so i rode it again and it seemed like the tick started to get louder (but the bike runs great no loss in power or any negatives other then the tick). So after that ride i decided it was time to adjust the valves.

So after the valve adjustment (which it did need) I took it out today for the first time. but still the same ticking noise.....and it gets worse as you ride the bike longer.......

Any ideas? again the bike runs fine and has the same power as it did day one...just that annoying tick.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2001 does the same thing from the same place. A friend of mine has a 2000 year model Warrior and its tick is barely noticeable (which is probably normal), but I suspect it has fewer hours on it than mine also. Even after I adjusted my valves, it keeps ticking just the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 96 warrior after putting in a hot rods stroker kit.

So after the kit was put in i took it out for a few days to brake it in. And after the brake in you know i ripped it up for a few more days and it started to tick. well after checking the valves and reajusting them it still ticked. So i pulled off the cam cover and started to mic the slack in the cam chain and found out it was stretched. Im not saying that is whats wrong with your but a start to find out. you will need a book to find out the specs and how much slack is alowed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a book. I will look into the cam chain being loose. Isnt the cam chain behind the cover on the left side of the bike? because the noise is comming from the very front.

·
Registered
115 Posts
the ticking noise after you ride awhile is this.....when the oil warms up it thins out..therefore you hear the valves ticking, mine does the same thing when its hot, but not so much cold because the oil is thicker. mine has done this since day one, and the cam chain is fine, and my valves are fine. this is proaly nothing to worry about, unless its a god aful ticking that sounds like your engines about to blow! then there might be a problem, but if its just a tick, even if it gets louder when reved, it proab nothing! theres alot of moving parts there and after age and time it will tick. hopes this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im just curious as to what is making the noise......and if it is the oil getting thin, could i add some lucas like they do in cars? right now im using the 20w50 yamaha oil the dealer reccomended to me.

·
Registered
519 Posts
i'd be careful w/lucas because it causes clutch slippage. instead check out the oil cooler mod you can do yourself in the top sticky:links to important topics. i did the side cover tap method and it keeps my warrior much cooler. a mechanic told me that ticking is normal from an overhead cam engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my warrior has the same tick. not real loud though. when i had my street bike it did the same thing also. i had that thing for four years and never had a problem. if it gets louder or you feel a difference in power i would start to worry. until then just make sure you do your normal maintenance and keep a proverbial eye on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
its nothing to worry about, any overhead cam engine will tick, im using castrol gtx 10w-30 and it does fine. now another ques...is it really loud when going through the gears? if it is then it could possibly be something, but if its not hurting performance or smoking id just keep riding and keep an eye on things!

·
Registered
519 Posts
mine is also doing the same thing its a 1999 warrior. im told the timing chain is streached. not a big deal there pretty cheep.
if you pull off the cam cover and try to rotate the cam back n forth and it does, your chain is stretched and you'll have poor performance. if it doesn't wiggle at all, you're all set. chain slap sounds different than valve tick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
warrior/junk

Whats not so funny is that my Honda 300ex & my outty 400 both have over head cams & both motors are quiet. These warriors are junk. bad carbs, bad intakes, bad coils, bad stators. My son-in law just got two on a trade. Time to tear them down, paint them, buff them out & SELL these junks.
do yourself a favor, do the same & go & buy a Honda or Suzuki.:s96:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Whats not so funny is that my Honda 300ex & my outty 400 both have over head cams & both motors are quiet. These warriors are junk. bad carbs, bad intakes, bad coils, bad stators. My son-in law just got two on a trade. Time to tear them down, paint them, buff them out & SELL these junks.
wow tell us how you really feel .............

·
Registered
574 Posts
Junk? Really? yeah that makes sensce since they are the best selling quad ever made

·
Super Moderator
8,607 Posts
You 2 keep up the YFM site whoring and you will both be gone..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts